Great White spotted at Crystal Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only interesting thing in Cedrics link was the question - is it actually a GW or another lamnid species? Be awesome if someone could get a tag on it and DNA sample taken....while assuring the shark survives. This sort of media is what I alluded to with comments re "known man eater" leading to fear mongering and knee jerk reactions from "Authorities" - not proud to say we've had to experience that.

The only interesting thing in Cedrics link was the question - is it actually a GW or another lamnid species? Be awesome if someone could get a tag on it and DNA sample taken....while assuring the shark survives. This sort of media is what I alluded to with comments re "known man eater" leading to fear mongering and knee jerk reactions from "Authorities" - not proud to say we've had to experience that.

What kind of shark is this?

094C4DF1-8FB3-4833-B928-FBA245028102.jpeg

That's GWS all day. What other lamnid could that chunky beast be?

Looks like a GW but could be another type of related shark - I'm not a icythologist or marine biologist. Even if I was, without front on and straight (IE not bending) pics, to give a definitive answer is not my field - Dave Riggs would know.

From your previous postings I'd guess its taken at Guadalupe on a GW expedition...that's a guess based purely on assumptions from your previous postings.

Looks like a GW but could be another type of related shark - I'm not a icythologist or marine biologist. Even if I was, without front on and straight (IE not bending) pics, to give a definitive answer is not my field - Dave Riggs would know.

From your previous postings I'd guess its taken at Guadalupe on a GW expedition...that's a guess based purely on assumptions from your previous postings.

That picture was taken from the HOTSPOT Indonesia news about GWS in Crystal Bay. Hiu Putih means White Shark.

That picture was taken from the HOTSPOT Indonesia news about GWS in Crystal Bay. Hiu Putih means White Shark.

My thought when I first saw that photo was that it is a stock photo and not one that was taken that day of the sighting.

I would be trying to get a photo.LOL

Social media does over blow it. But most divers know more people die from toasters then from sharks.

Yeah, social media is one thing: uncontrolled mass panic reactions, but actual media outlets doing this does annoy me.

Here is a much better report from a diver's perspective: Thai divers spot great white shark in waters off Bali

How about this one? It looks like a fat or pregnant one of GWS to me.

View attachment 545020
That shot looks like the one I first saw on Facebook. The rest of the Hotspot Indonesia package looks like stock imagery to me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom