Prevent weights from shifting around in pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikkelse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Zeagle Stiletto BCD with integrated weight pockets and rip cord release. One issue I have experienced with this system is that weights in the integrated pockets are not fixed and tend to move around. It's not really an issue as long as I stay in the same position, but if I turn from face down to face up for example, the weights shift rapidly from front to back in the pockets as they are pulled down with gravity. This rapidly changes my trim and makes it hard to control my position and bouyancy.

Are you experiencing the same and do you have any tips or advice for fixating the weights, keeping my trim stable, while still allowing them to be quick released?

I have a Zeagle Stiletto BCD with integrated weight pockets and rip cord release. One issue I have experienced with this system is that weights in the integrated pockets are not fixed and tend to move around. It's not really an issue as long as I stay in the same position, but if I turn from face down to face up for example, the weights shift rapidly from front to back in the pockets as they are pulled down with gravity. This rapidly changes my trim and makes it hard to control my position and bouyancy.

Are you experiencing the same and do you have any tips or advice for fixating the weights, keeping my trim stable, while still allowing them to be quick released?

You're kidding, this is a major problem? All weights move around in releaseable pockets.

You're kidding, this is a major problem? All weights move around in releaseable pockets.

Well, no one said it was a major problem...except for you. It is a problem for him as it is affecting his trim. Based on his profile he is a newer diver. He is still working out the little things in an attempt to improve. That should be commended, imo. Fwiw, I have quick release weight pockets on my Aqualung Dimension and I have not encountered any shifting with 2 different styles of weights, bags and solid - 4# each side, as the pockets are pretty tight. So I guess not All weights move around.

To Mikkelse....maybe try folding up a washcloth and putting that in the pocket before the weight so it can't move around as much. Not familiar withe the exact design you mention but any type of lightweight/non buoyant item should work. Much like packing blankets around a load in the trunk of the car to prevent shifting. Good luck.

Smaller person huge problem tink klink klunk, those pockets are huge, just a pain in the guts

I fixed it as best as it could be done with some yellow Zeagle pouches and some soft weights

but then I fixed it some more like this

full.jpg

Zeagle weight pouches are securely divided into two compartments by velcro
Older versions may have deteriorated mesh

You could put in small blocks of wood/plastic inside that would prevent shifting.

There's two different Zeagle pouches, the 12lb is sized for the Stiletto and similar models
Mesh Weight Pouch 12lb

The 18# is for Rangers etc. They have an internal Velcro divider. I've used them with loose lead shot - it doesn't move. Mesh Weight Pouch 18lb

Hi guys,

Thanks for the input. I already ordered the yellow mesh bags, 12lb on amazon, however I found them today in a store and they seem quite large and will probably not do much difference. Interesting that the 18lb ones have a velcro divider, wish 12lbs would have that as well.

Great input on adding some neutral buoyancy "filler" to keep the weights in place I will look into that.

@happy-diver Not sure what I am looking at hehe, but did you sow a velcro divider into the integrated weight pockets yourself? Interesting option...

Once I dialed in my weighting, I went out and purchased soft weights for the integrated pockets.
Works perfectly and the weight pouches don’t shift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom