Raja Ampat Liveaboard 2019 help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just received the following from La Galigo. I went with the boat to Raja Ampat 2x. 30% off due to last minute cancellation. Master Cabin, upstairs, was my cabin on both trips.

image.jpeg

Dan, that is a heck of a deal, thanks for thinking about me and posting it.

Right now I have an email out for the Seahorse on Dec 5 that is a longer trip and fits my schedule a little better. For the La Galigo, I would have to leave on Thanksgiving, which I am scheduled to work. Chances of getting a taker for a holiday pickup are slim to none haha. However, I am also looking it over, just in case something else happens.

Well, its finally settled, mostly haha.

I am booked on the Seahorse for their Dec. 5, 10 night cruise. I know the Seahorse has an unimpressive review on here, but since then it has changed owners and been renovated. I have spoken to several members who had very positive things to say about the operation and boat.

https://www.wallacea-divecruise.com/uploads/media/image/0001/01/thumb_555_image_large.jpeg

I also have my international flights, though they are somewhat flexible since they are award tickets.

Inbound on EVA to CGK arriving around 1330 on Dec. 1. Outbound (from CGK) is on the 15th at 2145 on JAL. I am looking into maybe flipping until the 16 if I can so I dont have to try to get back to CGK on the day the we depart the boat. However, there is a Batik Air flight that gets back into CGK around 1700. I would hope 4+ hours would be enough time to for delays, but then again... I am checking frequently to see if anything opens up for an international departure on the 16th.

For the inbound, since I am getting in so early, any advice on a possible quick shot over to Bali? I see most of the dive sites are a haul from DPS airport, but are there are any dive spots (Crystal Bay looks close) that would be worth hitting up for a couple quick settle in dives, or should I just hang out in Jakarta and not try to rush around Indo?

Any and all input is appreciated and thanks for all the advice so far!

Well, its finally settled, mostly haha.

I am booked on the Seahorse for their Dec. 5, 10 night cruise. I know the Seahorse has an unimpressive review on here, but since then it has changed owners and been renovated. I have spoken to several members who had very positive things to say about the operation and boat.

https://www.wallacea-divecruise.com/uploads/media/image/0001/01/thumb_555_image_large.jpeg

I also have my international flights, though they are somewhat flexible since they are award tickets.

Inbound on EVA to CGK arriving around 1330 on Dec. 1. Outbound (from CGK) is on the 15th at 2145 on JAL. I am looking into maybe flipping until the 16 if I can so I dont have to try to get back to CGK on the day the we depart the boat. However, there is a Batik Air flight that gets back into CGK around 1700. I would hope 4+ hours would be enough time to for delays, but then again... I am checking frequently to see if anything opens up for an international departure on the 16th.

For the inbound, since I am getting in so early, any advice on a possible quick shot over to Bali? I see most of the dive sites are a haul from DPS airport, but are there are any dive spots (Crystal Bay looks close) that would be worth hitting up for a couple quick settle in dives, or should I just hang out in Jakarta and not try to rush around Indo?

Any and all input is appreciated and thanks for all the advice so far!

Jonathan agrees with you on the boat selection :)

Enjoy it!

So, you will have about 3 days free before boarding the Sea Horse. I would suggest first to book Jakarta Airport Hotel to catch up on your jetlag. Also book a flight to Sorong ASAP, say with Batik Air at midnight on Dec 1, arriving in Sorong around 6am on Dec 2. Then you arrange a 3 day stay in a dive resort near Sorong, for example Raja Ampat Dive Lodge – Grand Komodo that can take you back to Sorong on the day of boarding on Sea Horse.

Just received the following from La Galigo. I went with the boat to Raja Ampat 2x. 30% off due to last minute cancellation. Master Cabin, upstairs, was my cabin on both trips.

View attachment 543330

Wow, I'm in agony

I'd love to do it back to back

Dan, great Video. Not sure I would be playing with sea snakes like that, haha, but to each their own.

Ive sent an email to Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, their website isnt the easiest to get info from. Ive noticed its a 2-hr boat ride :O.

If nothing else, I can always just hang out in Jakarta for a day or two before shooting over to Sorong :). I was just looking to see if there was any dive places that are a close to the major airports in Indo. Doesnt really look that way.

Dan, great Video. Not sure I would be playing with sea snakes like that, haha, but to each their own.

Ive sent an email to Raja Ampat Dive Lodge, their website isnt the easiest to get info from. Ive noticed its a 2-hr boat ride :O.

If nothing else, I can always just hang out in Jakarta for a day or two before shooting over to Sorong :). I was just looking to see if there was any dive places that are a close to the major airports in Indo. Doesnt really look that way.

There’s nothing to do in Jakarta, unless you want to breathe exhaust fume from the traffic jam.

If you go diving in Bali, then you will lose a day for no-fly period after diving, but you can use that for drying up your gear & do some sightseeing. That’s why I recommend you to go straight to Sorong. You can always carry your wet gears in a net bag to the boat.

I did similar thing when I went to Bali before going on Mermaid 1 for Bali-Komodo-Bali. The morning before boarding the boat in Benoa, I went to Nusa Penida & saw 9 Mola Mola in Crystal Bay in Nusa Penida. :D

2-hr boat ride is short. I did it in 2010. I also went to Misool Eco Resort in 2013, which took me 4-hr boat ride. Also to Raja4 Diver in Pulau Pef in 2016, which was 3.5-hr boat ride. That’s why I don’t recommend you to go there at this time.

BTW, I was in Manuk last month, also playing with the sea snake. I squeezed the body of one of the snake, it’s pretty spongy as I was told that the whole body is pretty much full of lung so they can stay long underwater. As soon as it felt the pinch of my hand, it just swam away real fast to a hole.

If RADL doesn't work, you can try either Papua Paradise or Papua Explorers. Both are excellent. We'll be staying at Papua Paradise again before our Kaimana-Sorong trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom