Which Dry Suit do I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ursuit and Santi come with a limited number of customizations free of charge, at least over here. Typically arm length, leg length, boot size and maybe also torso length.

And if you go dry, you're going to enjoy the SI instead of freezing your butt off while trying to get warm again. That is worth quite a lot.

In the drysuit you maintain a air bubble around you. You also have the buoyancy of the undergarments plus the buoyancy of the suit if neoprene. Usually it takes more lead to overcome this over a 7mm wetsuit.

I don't see how that's possible
It’s true, drysuit requires more weight than a wetsuit. For me going from 3 mil to 8/7 semidry only requires about 8 more pounds.

A Whites Fusion can be had 2nd hand for under $1000 and can accommodate a wide variety of body shapes.

Aqualung fusion one dry suit run new between 700$-1000$ can. They fit and work great in cold water. I run about the same amount of lead as a 7mm if I'm not wearing many layers of undergarments.

Just a couple of things to consider when choosing a dry suit:
1. Buoyancy swing in a regular neoprene suit will still be an issue. Not as much of an issue in a compressed neoprene or a trilam suit.
2. Weighting may be more or less than a 7mm wetsuit, depending on undergarments and suit type. When I was diving a compressed neoprene suit I used about the same amount of weight as a 7mm wetsuit. Now that I am in an Aqualung Fusion I use more, but I have on thicker undergarments and stay warmer than I did in my old suit.
3. Consider zipper placement. I STRONGLY suggest going with a self-donning suit. It is really annoying to have a back-zip.
4. Consider zipper material. Plastic zippers are cheaper and more flexible, and sometimes more comfortable under BCD straps. But they will wear out faster than brass. I prefer brass.
5. Consider the seals. Personally, I like silicone seals the best. They are robust, stretchy, and comfortable. Latex seals need some more babying. Some people like neoprene seals. They are usually pretty comfy, but you have to make sure they fit well from the start. They will eventually stretch out and then you'll have to replace them, and that means sending it off to get done since they are glued on.
6. Condensation. Depending on air temp and humidity, water temp, and how much you sweat, you may get a fair bit of condensation inside of a trilam suit. I get a lot of condensation in my Fusion (which is essentially a bilam with spandex/neoprene outer shell). I barely got any condensation in my old compressed neo suit. A good wicking base layer is essential in a trilam suit.

Good luck!

It has been mentioned before, but with your budget and statement that you need custom; Seaskin is the way to go.
I just got mine a small month ago and I love it! it cost me €1300 including undergarments, silicone seals and drygloves. And I think it’s the most reviewed suit on forums.

Only downside, because they’re that popular you have 12 week waiting times. But hey, where else can you get such a suit at that price?!

Definitely dont write off a wetsuit.

59F is not that cold.

I tried on multiple brands and sizes of thick wetsuits before i found one that fit well and was easy to don.
Some of them I never managed to don!

Exel 9/7/6 built in hood semi dry was good but didn't like the chest zip and was unsure about wanting a built in hood.
Eventually went with Mares 8/6/5 on close out due old stock, plus a Henderson 7/5 hooded vest.
Don's easy, fits like a glove and allows me to remove a layer when its warmer.
Keeps me warm down to 51F for 45 mins so far, now the hands and SI are a different story.

Being warm during the SI is a significant benefit of a drysuit especially in the winter and shoulder seasons. Drygloves also work better with a drysuit as it allows you to get air into them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom