Is the term "expedition" grossly overused?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always looked at an expedition as a journey into the unknown, where ones return is not guaranteed. Not something I would sign up fo if I wanted a dive vacation, even if it was educational.

Bob

An expedition to me may be routine for others in the sense of familiarity and comfort.

The expedition is that they get more money out of your wallet. You can charge more when you use those fancy $2 words.

Indeed. A lot of people describe the 5-day liveaboard trips to Guadalupe Island as "expeditions." The cost of the "expedition" is $3.500. You are essentially guaranteed to see great whites. The route taken is always the same. The sharks seen on the "expeditions" have been catalogued to such an extent that it's a rare day when someone spots a previously unseen shark. Your chances of making it back alive (unless you have a heart attack at the breakfast buffet) are essentially 100 percent. I would described that as "going on a boat" more than "an expedition."

According to the TV show "Expedition Unknown" (or Butt-Wipe Unknown) an "Expediton" is any inane lark that you can make money on simply by calling it an Expedition....

When my wife asks why I make such a big production out of going to the grocery store... This is why... It’s an expedition into the unknown, from which I may not return...

I've heard things about North Florida, I'll assign them more credibility now, I had assumed it was hyperbole.

Bob

Lots of things have multiple terms for the same thing. So what. It part of the joy of speaking English. When writing it is often considered good style to not keep repeating the same words over and over. A difference from some other languages.

"I went to the grocery. While in that establishment I picked up some hotdogs. Upon leaving the store I was attacked by a pack of hot dogs wanting my wieners."

Back
Top Bottom