Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navy rescues tourists off Isla Mujeres after they lose contact with diving boat - Riviera Maya News
Two missing divers successfully located off Cozumel - Riviera Maya News
Another Cozumel diver 'misplaced' at sea - Riviera Maya News
Eight missing divers found off Isla Mujeres - Riviera Maya News
So, there are headlines from earlier this year. Maybe these sorts of incidents are how concerns about "Open Water" (the movie) types of situations develop. There's a video on Simply Scuba that got some views, pointing out some of this. The lesson appears to be: there's a new Bermuda Triangle, and it's just south of Isla Mujeres. Of maybe that isn't the lesson. Heck, maybe Chuck has already told us the lesson. Unless he's wrong and it's aliens.

Isla Mujeres is way up by Cancun and purely from the location given of the other two, it's fishermen.

You want to learn something interesting and maybe gain a bit of respect for that fresh seafood that you eat - go down by the people ferry 6:30 or so in the morning - watch what those guys load in the boats, the equipment and the boats themselves. Talk to them about how they work - I think you'd be shocked and maybe have a better understanding on how this guys get misplaced for a bit.

Some of the boat captains and mates have a background in fishing, ask them about it - one day, I'm gonna strap a computer to Gato's ankle to see what he really does. I've heard that they go down, no BC, just weight belt, and that the captain is supposed to drop them another bottle at predetermined times - they'll dive two or three bottles before surfacing.

Isla Mujeres is way up by Cancun and purely from the location given of the other two, it's fishermen.

You want to learn something interesting and maybe gain a bit of respect for that fresh seafood that you eat - go down by the people ferry 6:30 or so in the morning - watch what those guys load in the boats, the equipment and the boats themselves. Talk to them about how they work - I think you'd be shocked and maybe have a better understanding on how this guys get misplaced for a bit.

Some of the boat captains and mates have a background in fishing, ask them about it - one day, I'm gonna strap a computer to Gato's ankle to see what he really does. I've heard that they go down, no BC, just weight belt, and that the captain is supposed to drop them another bottle at predetermined times - they'll dive two or three bottles before surfacing.
Better yet go diving with them. They live life on the edge.

There's a video on Simply Scuba that got some views, pointing out some of this. The lesson appears to be: there's a new Bermuda Triangle, and it's just south of Isla Mujeres.
That may be an apt comparison, seeing that there is no statistical support for the so-called Bermuda Triangle being any more dangerous than any other part of the ocean. Areas that see more traffic see more accidents.

This video was posted on YouTube yesterday. What I get out of the video is that more emphasis needs to be placed on education. The guy that posted this probably didn't think there was anything wrong with it. Last year a DM from Playa got in a bunch of trouble for something similar. If this DM thought he was doing wrong, why would he let himself be videoed? 19 seconds in and you will see what I am referring to.

This video was posted on YouTube yesterday. What I get out of the video is that more emphasis needs to be placed on education. The guy that posted this probably didn't think there was anything wrong with it. Last year a DM from Playa got in a bunch of trouble for something similar. If this DM thought he was doing wrong, why would he let himself be videoed? 19 seconds in and you will see what I am referring to.

He was sure rough about it. I've seen DM's lure them out before but that was violent.

Why the concern for a fish temporarily ruffled up and let go and none for ones that are killed and eaten?

Why the concern for a fish temporarily ruffled up and let go and none for ones that are killed and eaten?
Do you mean eaten by other fish or humans? This is in a marine park where you are not suppose to be touching things. It is exposed to a lot of divers, if the rules continue to be broken we can lose our privilege to dive there.

Back
Top Bottom