Single tank rental/check out dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There are many reasons.We keep going back to Bon. Cost and freedom rate highly. We understand the requirement of the check out dive, many may need to dial everything back in and it is required by STINAPA. So on our last trip we made sure we landed as early as we could (1:50) so we were at the resort by 3p. We stay at Sand Dollar condos and dive with DFB. We bought the 6 day unlimited shore dive package, we don't boat dive there. We wanted to do our check out dive Sat so we could get an early start Sun. It cost us $40 per person to do the mandatory check out dive, this seemed extreme. Why must we pay even more for a dive they require? Is there somewhere we can rent a single tank at a reasonable fee? Sure for the $40 we got some unlimited shore dives and tank rentals but after a day of travel a single tank is all we will do. Bill

I could swear we have done the same sort of thing with DFB and not been charged for the “extra” (yet required) dive when we arrived just before they closed for the day, but my memory may be failing me; it’s possible we WERE charged, and i didn’t notice it.

Every time I've gone we get a 'weekly' rental for tanks. Is the 6 day rental lesser cost than the 'week'? Seems like everyone charges by the week down there.

It cost us $40 per person to do the mandatory check
Did that include the BMP tag/fee? Someone posted the price on that increased from $25. It's good for one year afaik

I guess I don't understand the financial burden of paying $40 on a $4K plus trip (assuming 2 of you) but that's just me.

Our flight usually gets in about 2:00 give or take. As a rule we go to store for some basic provisions then get unpacked and go sign in at the dive shop(DFB). Then relax after a day of travel. Next morning we get to DFB do check out dive and then have a full day of diving and there is no extra cost to our 6 day package. But that’s us as we are doing our 12th trip in 10 days and kinda relax a bit more compared to our first trips which were dive dive dive. Hope your having a great time.

There are many reasons.We keep going back to Bon. Cost and freedom rate highly. We understand the requirement of the check out dive, many may need to dial everything back in and it is required by STINAPA. So on our last trip we made sure we landed as early as we could (1:50) so we were at the resort by 3p. We stay at Sand Dollar condos and dive with DFB. We bought the 6 day unlimited shore dive package, we don't boat dive there. We wanted to do our check out dive Sat so we could get an early start Sun. It cost us $40 per person to do the mandatory check out dive, this seemed extreme. Why must we pay even more for a dive they require? Is there somewhere we can rent a single tank at a reasonable fee? Sure for the $40 we got some unlimited shore dives and tank rentals but after a day of travel a single tank is all we will do. Bill

I just went to the dive friends Bonaire website. They list their rental fees as 18 for a single tank rental, 34 for unlimited single day rentals and 180 for 6 day unlimited rentals (a little more for nitrox), it would appear to be possible to rent a single tank for less than 40 dollars. Looked at some other operators and saw single tank rentals for less.

Also looked at STINPA fees and it is current 45 for both Washington and Marine park.

My wife and I just returned from 2 weeks on Bonaire. We did not do our check out dive from Den Laman/Sand Dollar Dive Friends until the day after we arrived. However, our daughter, and then our son, joined us for several days during the visit. Both did their check out dives in the late afternoon on the day they arrived. We were not charged anything extra. This was our 4th stay at Den Laman in the last two years using DFB, perhaps it was because they know us well? It never dawned on me that we might be charged extra for the check out dive the day before the unlimited tank package began.

Dive Friends doesn't require it. The .gov does. The .gov doesn't pay DFB for the costs, DFB is a business, doing things for free would be bad for business

Dive Friends doesn't require it. The .gov does. The .gov doesn't pay DFB for the costs, DFB is a business, doing things for free would be bad for business

Sure, but as businesspeople know, doing a little something extra, such as a “free” checkout dive late in the day one arrives on island, can create goodwill and increase business.

It isn’t clear whether DFB does this or not. As I said above, my own admittedly hazy recollection is that they did it for us.

So the plaza is $175 for 6 days. We always do our check outs on the day we arrive (sat to sat) and it's never cost us anything additional. We've always been able to do dives that night with no extra charge. That $40 must of been a park fee or something.

Back
Top Bottom