Are ultra lite backplates good for shorter people?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

athigunk

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking through quite a lot of past threads regarding backplates for small divers, and I have seen a lot of comments suggesting the Ultra Lite backplate (eg. Oxycheq, Mares, Apeks) for smaller people. I would like to ask you guys, in terms of fitting ONLY and not in terms of its weight, whether or not this kind of backplate would actually fit smaller divers better, and of course please give the reason behind your answer. Here is the reason why I am not yet a believer of this, please correct me if I am wrong.

I would think that when one wants to get a small (shorter) backplate, it is for the purpose of having a shorter distance from the top of the plate to the waist slots so that the waist harness will properly sits on their waist, rather than their hips like when they put on the standard size. But in this case, if you use a standard size Ultra Lite backplate you would still get your waist harness sitting on your hips regardless of it being super light, which doesn't really solve the problem for smaller people, again, in terms of fitting.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge sharing.

- Athigun

There are short, medium and long people.
Thats why there are short, medium and long backplates.

Long backplates are also used by short and medium people for use with a rebreather that would otherwise end at the small of your back and be very uncomfortable over time.

Michael

Can't imagine that ultralight backplates are better for shorter people unless they are overweighted with a backplate that otherwise fits them.
Unless you determine that you need an ultralight backplate - you don't need it.

Michael

If you have to fly to most places you dive, an ultra-light backplate, or a very light travel bcd, can be crucial in avoiding paying for an extra bag or overweight charges. Also, I like a very light bcd for travel because I only have carry the extra weight required for diving on the dive boat or to/from the water on a shore dive rather than carrying extra weight everywhere I go. Personal preference of course.

Can't imagine that ultralight backplates are better for shorter people unless they are overweighted with a backplate that otherwise fits them.
Unless you determine that you need an ultralight backplate - you don't need it.

Michael

the oxycheq is shorter than a conventional backplate. short backplate options are more limited and cost more, so the ultralight is a budget alternative if you don't need the ballast of a steel plate. you can't just pick up a generic short plate from DGX for under 100 like you can for the standard size.

I would like to ask you guys, in terms of fitting ONLY and not in terms of its weight, whether or not this kind of backplate would actually fit smaller divers better, and of course please give the reason behind your answer.
You asked specifically about sizing a plate. Here is how I get 'close enough':

What size backplate?

Here’s a short Halcyon steel plate next to a standard Halcyon steel plate.

Unless this ultralight plate you’re taking about is actually shorter, it’s not going to work for a short person. The short plate puts the belt at my waist. Standard plate puts it at my hips. I’m 5’5”.

370C5993-DB8A-42BA-8476-91883ADC98CB.jpeg

the oxycheq ultra lite is 14 inches iirc, in between their standard and small sizes.
Do you happen to have the gear? I would like to ask you (or anyone) if you could measure the length from the top of the backplate to the tip of the waist slot. Thank you in advance.

actually ended up longer than 14 inches closer to 15, but the slot distance did fit in between.

standard medium size plate was 12.5 inches from top to waist slot. utlp was just over 11 inches and the oxycheq small plate was 10.25 inches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom