Using the 30mm macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It might fit but the front element is some way from the glass of the port losing working distance which is in short supply anyway with the 30mm, which makes getting higher magnifications even more difficult.

But at 9.5 cm the magnification is 1.25 to 1 so to get 1:1 you can be a little bit further away. The trouble is at that distance it can be really hard to light stuff well.
Yes I know that, it's not the point. Even 1:1 is too close to the port for ease of lighting 1:2 or half size is the comfortable limit , you can get closer but lighting becomes an issue.

I have recently bought epl-7 with pt ep12. I also have older epl-2 (which I might sell or keep it to utilize its standard port) Now, I am so impressed with 30mm that I am wondering whether standard port of my epl2 (pt-ep03) will accept the 30 mil. I know it works with 60mm and I was on the lookout for a used 60mm, now I am wondering whether I should go for the 30?.. I have a bayonet wet macro lens to, am likely to stack. Will be happy for any input.

I was on the lookout for a used 60mm, now I am wondering whether I should go for the 30?.. I have a bayonet wet macro lens to, am likely to stack.
The 60mm works fine with wet macros, the 30mm not so much (too small a working distance). I use both, and like both, but they are not interchangeable in use or port needed.

I have recently bought epl-7 with pt ep12. I also have older epl-2 (which I might sell or keep it to utilize its standard port) Now, I am so impressed with 30mm that I am wondering whether standard port of my epl2 (pt-ep03) will accept the 30 mil. I know it works with 60mm and I was on the lookout for a used 60mm, now I am wondering whether I should go for the 30?.. I have a bayonet wet macro lens to, am likely to stack. Will be happy for any input.

The standard port will work for both the 60 and the 30, but it will not be optimal. AOI makes a macro port for PEN housings:
AOI FLP-02 Macro Port for Olympus PEN Housings
...this will work great for the 60, and be about as good as you can get for the 30. I use the Olympus macro port for OMD housings, which is similar in design and size to the AOI port.
It all comes down to what you shoot- I very much prefer the 30mm for ease of use and the ability to shoot fish portraits from a reasonable difference. If you're shooting really tiny things, like 1cm and down, then the 60 will be the way to go.

Thanks for your input, looks like 60mm is the way to go for me. AOI port is quite nice but I think EPL platform is dying for UW photography, so I do not want to invest in more into it (have Zen Dome as well).

the 30mm macro is a beautiful cheap lens…. it's perfect with mid size macro stuff and very good with bad viz because you can stay closer to the subject…. i use mostly the 60mm and diopters, but sometimes the 30 is the right choice….

the oly 30mm

View attachment 529252_8124051 by boletus.italy, su Flickr

the panasonic 30mm

View attachment 529253_8091453 by boletus.italy, su Flickr

for my experience the panasonic is slighty better.... but now i've only the Olympus... for both this lenses every diopter is totally USELESS.... like with canon and nikon 60mm....
:wink::wink::wink:
The stacked crabs is a great shot boletus. I was going to try focus stacking but this is much better!!!!

Off to Philippines this weekend and packing lenses grabbed the 30mm first. The 60 and 9-18 are also on board. Bought a new EM5mk2 ie only 9 exposures and a one dive only housing for it so it will all be new to me if not the gear.
Having done macro in Bali for the last 6 years I am hoping for some clear water and maybe some fish shots for a change! Of course, everything is weather dependent....................................

On a recent trip to Ambon (Spice Island Divers) I shot the Olympus 30 mm macro lens with the Olympus 1.4 teleconverter (using a 12 mm extension tube). Here is a nice Brooks Urchin Shrimp in a fire urchin. This is one of only a few I have seen where you can see the eggs. Enjoy

Bill
brooksy.jpg

Great shot Bill. Does the 1.4 which is designed to be used on a professional level lens fit easily into the 12mm extension?
Never thought of doing this as my main interest in the 1.4 is for bird photography and not sure what this would do to the 75-300mm lens I use for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom