Trip Report Bonaire April 13-27, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire, Key Largo, Cozumel, we haven't worn neoprene in years... It's just super cold up here. High 70's and we are in bathwater.

Glad you had a good time. Years ago, when I made my Bonaire trips with a dive group that stayed at Eden Beach Resort (under prior management I think), we saw chain morays pretty reliably without diving. If you walk down near the water's edge, the waves wash over a rocky ledge, and on the shore-side where the rock forms a little shelf, tiny terrace, however you want to think of it, a friend and I would find these guys with hardly an inch of water flowing over them, hunting in these rocky places. Haven't been back to see if they're still there, but I imagine they would be. I've never seen a shark in Bonaire.

On the subject of air travel to/from Bonaire, I learned something flying back this past Sunday morning. My United Airlines flight was timed for 6:25 a.m. departure, and it's noted if I weren't there at least 30 minutes beforehand, they could give away my spot without compensation. Okay, pretty basic airline policy, right? And since Avis opens at 5 a.m. across the parking lot from the airport, sounded doable.

Then I saw online airport hours listed for that Sunday from 6 a.m. - 11 p.m. And getting checked into that airport isn't always a fast experience. Turns out they were checking people in well before 6 a.m., and I think the hours may be when planes are allowed to use it? So if this can spare anyone that 'Oh, crap!' moment, well, there you go.

Richard.
I also learned something new along these lines. Like you, I had the United flight at 6:25am. Both Avis and Budget will let you come by the night before at 8pm to do the vehicle inspection and final paperwork. You can then just bring the car back as early as you want the next morning, park it, lock it and they have a little slot/hole in the office window that you can drop the key into. Worked like a charm.

Thanks for the report and update.

79F and you needed a hood? LOLOLOL. Ok, I'm sorry, but man that's warm. :)

79 is borderline too cold to go diving. Almost stay-inside-and-watch-football weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom