Using a flashlight as colour enhancer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on the DGX flash lights. They're great quality for the prices. I was so happy to have a good light as we went into swim throughs in Kona so I could see the open coral cups on the ceiling above us - wouldn't have seen anything at all - purple, red, yellow, green - all would have just looked black.

Have fun!

Cheap and fairly good is the Princeton Tec League. Now when you are night diving you may want to step up your game and use your daytime light as a back-up. Enjoy your diving!!

I am a big fan to Flood / Spot switching lights. I find the Flood mode works well for appreciating colors without washing out the subject. The spot is great for looking in holes, cracks, or signalling you buddy. Look for something that does both. There are good models from L&M Sola, Kraken, etc that are 1200+ lumens and $200-300.

You can get a quality light with lots of power and rechargeable battery for much less than 2-$300.

Check out this light:

https://www.makospearguns.com/1000-Lumen-Dive-Light-p/m1000dl.htm

dive-light-1000-package.jpg

dive-light-1000.jpg

A couple of years ago, l was diving while on vacation. It doesn't happen too often, and it's a major PITA to lug the gear I want to use.

I took this picture of this nudi, but because I hadn't brought a light I didn't see the wonderful reds in the picture before I reviewed the pics. If I'd brought my light (which I use on every local dive, no matter the lighting conditions) I'd seen the reds also IRL.

Bring a light. At night, bring two. But always bring at least one.

How do you like my stainless key rings for attaching clips instead of that silly string

Just something to think about. If you ever get hung up on something and the metal on metal gets stuck in tension...

And that's why tech divers use that "silly string". You can cut sting, but you can't cut a stainless key ring.

For lots of divers will never be an issue, until it is. Just one of those personal choices you have to make when you blow bubbles.

"Science!!!" (apologies to Thomas Dolby):

Why are so many deep-sea animals red in color?: Ocean Exploration Facts: NOAA Office of Ocean Exploration and Research

Red light waves are the longest frequency and amplitude, so they get 'bent' out of the visible spectrum first as you descend. Then orange, then yellow
This NOAA blurb is interesting. "Red" fish use being red to avoid becoming some larger fish's dinner, by appearing black at depth.

Green blue indigo violet, with the shorter wavelengths, get deflected less and have more energy so they "last" more as we go deeper. That's mostly what you see at say 50 feet, depending on sunlight and vis.

So yes, always bring a flashlight with you!

Plus, the song is fun:

How do you like my stainless key rings for attaching clips instead of that silly string
I most definitely don't. I want every piece of gear attached to me to be removable using a sharp edge, so I very much prefer "that silly string"

Absolutely. If you're going to be taking pictures, you may want to get a wide beam, as the spot light may present a too bright hot spot.

I also bought a DGX light and I am satisfied with them, at that cheap price for my basic needs (use the wide beam to bring up colors for my GoPro clone). You can get more power if you prefer, paying a bit more.

I forget where I read this, but some dive website suggested using a flashlight during day dives to enhance the reds that get filtered out.

Is this a thing that will work, or will I just look like a complete tool? My next diving destination is Hurghada, and I assume the visibility and brightness is already pretty amazing (just what I've heard). Would a flashlight actually do anything for the colours?

Absolutely. I just use an Olympus TG-4 and my Sola 2000 hand mounted dive light, and the difference in colour and clarity is huge.

Sola lights are not cheap, but they're very convenient and small. The burn time is compromised by the power and small size.

My DiveRite CX1 backup light looks like it would be great for u/w photography, but I haven't mounted it or tried it that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom