Off Topic - Airline and Credit Card Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Which airline do you guys recommend for Asia trips and why?

flights.google.com - use the search, then use the price graph and date grid tools. If your dates are flexible you can get some really good deals this way. Sometimes it's cheaper to go the 'wrong way' around the globe.

Where in Asia will make a big difference as to which airline makes sense. Most routes outside major destinations/hubs you'll be on mulitple airlines via codeshares or otherwise.

Points and miles are far more relevant if you fly more often - even if it's over a long period of time. If this is a one-off trip look carefully at the math of benefit vs. time/effort for card bonuses and such.

As for airline experience - lots of variables there. Peasant class or big seat? That's the starting point for anyone to comment on what's relevant...
If you fit in a normal seat then you will never find better 'value' in premium cabins. At that point, you have to decide what is worth what to you.
I don't fit in a regular seat - so I've gotten pretty good at finding 'affordable' business class tickets. If my shoulders were 5" narrower I'd have different priorities.

With diving - make sure to include bag costs in your analysis as well.

Sorry for this weird thread but looking to get the best experience for my money. I get suckered in too good to be true deals and want my first LOB trip to go smoothly

1) Which airline do you guys recommend for Asia trips and why?

2) What credit card do you recommend to maximize on rewards with the lowest/reasonable annual membership cost? To get access to Lounges

I like American, along with the Citi AA card.

American has some great codeshares with QANTAS, JAL, Cathay Pacific (which includes Dragon Air); these will take care of most routes in and out of gateways like NAR, HKG, SYD.

On the card, the black card carries a stiff annual fee, but you get excess luggage allowance and lounge access, plus the accumulated miles spend nicely, if you work your segments well.

I use the Amex Plat and Chase Reserve. I fly out of SFO, which makes the Amex Centurion lounge there such a nice benefit to have. Both cards have priority pass, and I have not looked up to see if there is a difference between them. The reserve I use for most of my purchases to rack up the points.

My AMEX Platnium includes Priority Pass which I use domestically and internationally often. And I also have free use of Delta Lounge when flying on any fare ticket from Delta. Also any AMEX Centurion...my schwab account pays half the yearly fee of $550.00

I get $200 credit per year on any named airline.
I get 20 month in uber credits..use it or lose it though.
They also pay for Global Entry fee.
Also get early concert tickets usually well befor the public is offered up.

I swear by the Costco Visa by Citi, with an executive membership. Cost is $120/year and they refund the difference if you do not get that amount back in your rewards.

Here is the breakdown for rewards- This is all CASH back every February.
Costco Anywhere Card Cash Back Reward - Citi.com

I travel and drive quite a bit for work, so this is perfect for me. The 4% back on gas, plus the 3%-5% travel rewards, and I usually get about $800-$1,000.

Plus some of the Costco travel packages are very nice, and good rates with lots of bonuses for Executive members.

Nice!! I do agree on the great perks for Amex Platinum, just hesitant on the annual fee. The Chase Sapphire looks promising though. Just sucks that it doesnt have lounge access.

Out of these two, which would be better and faster to accumulate miles for free flights?

Out of these two, which would be better and faster to accumulate miles for free flights?

Depends how you spend ur $$$. Got to look at the card signup reward (e.g. points), how points are accumulated etc. Don't forget to look at business card as another option.

Nice!! I do agree on the great perks for Amex Platinum, just hesitant on the annual fee. The Chase Sapphire looks promising though. Just sucks that it doesnt have lounge access.

The sapphire reserve had lounge access through priority pass

For those that may not be aware, Costco also will organize and book customized trips. Kinda like AAA used to do. You can get some good deals and they do a lot of the legwork.

Thanks Guys!

Cool info @DeepSeaExplorer !

Will check my Citi Costco perks.

Thanks to @drk5036 just realized there is a Chase Sapphire Reserve for $450 that offers $300 travel credit, TSA pass, and Lounge Access. I have the green AMEX and it was fairly hard me to accrue miles. Now just need to decide between Amex Plat and Chase Reserve as my new main card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom