SSI AOW versus Deep diving speciality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
As I mentioned in my introduction post, I'm going to get my SSI OWD, next spring.
After a few dives I foresee that I will follow a few speciality programmes, in order to strengthen my scuba knowledge and skills.

After four specialities and twenty-four dives, you'll gain the SSI Advanced Open Water card.

I always thought that an advanced card (Either PADI or SSI) means that you are trained to dive to depths deeper than 18 m. up till 40 m. But I can get the SSI AOW card, with any given four specialities and the 24 dives.

So, theoretically, I can become an AOW Diver, without being allowed diving deeper than 18m (given, the rule, never dive over the circumstances you are trained for and accustomed to), right?

Or, does the AOW allow to dive deeper than 18 m.?

Please note, that it is a theoretical question....while reading up on all things scuba, the following specialities are probably my way to go: Perfect Buoyancy, Science of Diving, Deep Diving, Diver Stress & Rescue and probably Dry Suit (given the temperatures here, in the Dutch waters), so the Deep Diving program will be one to do for sure!

AOW as most think of it, 5 adventure dives which must include Navigation and Deep, is the same as SSI Advanced Adventurer. Now I imagine that most would see the SSI AOW card, and won't notice that it may not fulfill the requirements they think it does.

Taking the full courses may be a more thorough way to take AOW, but it will limit the dives you are able to take until you finish the courses. In addition, if you take the AA first, you may find other specialties meet your needs better than the ones you pick now, experience has that effect.

Bob

it is nice to see a new diver looking at what is best for his or her training as opposed to just looking at which card they can get the fastest. good for you.
living where you are, if you want to continue diving locally i def would suggest the dry suit course. unless you are thinking of going pro, i would hold off on the science of diving. if you will be diving deeper waters then it would make sense to take the deep course. the other two i personally would look at are navigation and nitrox. stress and rescue is always a good choice for anyone. if you feel your trim, buoyancy, and propulsion need work, then by all means get some extra instruction. control in the water is the single most important skill in my opinion. but all these choices really depend on your goals as a diver.
i live right across the border from you. if you ever wanna chat about this kinda stuff feel free to send me a private message.

unless you are thinking of going pro, i would hold off on the science of diving.

Is there a particular reason you suggest that? I don't intend any offence, I'm just wondering. I personally found (and still find) the science of diving fascinating, and have read Deco for Divers cover to cover a few times. If Pat85 is interested in it, why discourage taking the course?

Like Bob said, SSI AOW is actually just a "recognition" card and not the same as PADI AOW. I think most people who achieve that recognition do deep diver as one of the four classes to get to it, but not all. Advanced Adventurer is the SSI equivalent to PADI AOW.

I like the direction you are thinking for further instruction. I would suggest adding SSI React Right to your plan. You'll need some form of CPR, First Aid, and O2 for Stress and Rescue, and all of those classes you have will make you a Master Diver and put you on track to Dive Master, if you desire.

Is there a particular reason you suggest that? I don't intend any offence, I'm just wondering. I personally found (and still find) the science of diving fascinating, and have read Deco for Divers cover to cover a few times. If Pat85 is interested in it, why discourage taking the course?

not my intention to discourage anything. just speaking from a practical standpoint. SOD can be a great course if people are interested in that. but practically speaking i think there are better choices especially given the op's location and the conditions he will be diving in.
but SOD is a required course to move to the pro ranks in SSI. so if the goal is to be a guide or DM or beyond, then it is a good choice as they have to do it at some point.
just my 2 cents

AOW as most think of it, 5 adventure dives which must include Navigation and Deep, is the same as SSI Advanced Adventurer. Now I imagine that most would see the SSI AOW card, and won't notice that it may not fulfill the requirements they think it does.

Taking the full courses may be a more thorough way to take AOW, but it will limit the dives you are able to take until you finish the courses. In addition, if you take the AA first, you may find other specialties meet your needs better than the ones you pick now, experience has that effect.
Bob

Really? It confuses me...I thought the SSI Advanced Adventurer was more like a, how to say it, a ' sample platter' for trying out different specialties, rather than allowing a diver to actually classify for more than the 18m (if deep diving was chosen as one of the five samples).

it is nice to see a new diver looking at what is best for his or her training as opposed to just looking at which card they can get the fastest. good for you.
living where you are, if you want to continue diving locally i def would suggest the dry suit course. unless you are thinking of going pro, i would hold off on the science of diving. if you will be diving deeper waters then it would make sense to take the deep course. the other two i personally would look at are navigation and nitrox. stress and rescue is always a good choice for anyone. if you feel your trim, buoyancy, and propulsion need work, then by all means get some extra instruction. control in the water is the single most important skill in my opinion. but all these choices really depend on your goals as a diver.
i live right across the border from you. if you ever wanna chat about this kinda stuff feel free to send me a private message.

Thank you! I want to enjoy the sport, and learn as much as I can, for me...not to show around any cards:) and cool that we all can share some knowledge here!

I will start with my OWD, and enjoy it, and then surely follow up with advise questions which specialities are best for me!

And thanks for the offer, although I actually mean Dutch waters, like water/lakes in the Netherlands and not Dutch Lake, near Canada :D

I'm with you VE7DAC, for many of my hobbies I like to read up on knowledge, history and if possible science behind it all...knowledge is power.

Like Bob said, SSI AOW is actually just a "recognition" card and not the same as PADI AOW. I think most people who achieve that recognition do deep diver as one of the four classes to get to it, but not all. Advanced Adventurer is the SSI equivalent to PADI AOW.

I like the direction you are thinking for further instruction. I would suggest adding SSI React Right to your plan. You'll need some form of CPR, First Aid, and O2 for Stress and Rescue, and all of those classes you have will make you a Master Diver and put you on track to Dive Master, if you desire.

Thanks for the clarification! CPR and first aid will be no problem, since I will be needing that for my job soon, I'll look up what SSI React Right is, thanks for the info!

I'm with you VE7DAC, for many of my hobbies I like to read up on knowledge, history and if possible science behind it all...knowledge is power.

If the history and science interest you, I can't recommend Deco for Divers enough. It's by Mark Powell, and if you're interested in technical diving he has a book about that too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom