Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doing air dilutent dive is possible in terms os ppO2 (although extraordinary stupid) as you can breathe the loop down to the ppO2 you want (and hope you don't need to flush on the bottom) but... The narcosis is increased by a lot, all that O2 thats no longer in gas mixture is replaced by nitrogen. Also after 60 meters you get to have fun dealing with hypercapnia...

Were the bailouts used?

Reactions: dsp
Doing air dilutent dive is possible in terms os ppO2 (although extraordinary stupid) as you can breathe the loop down to the ppO2 you want (and hope you don't need to flush on the bottom) but... The narcosis is increased by a lot, all that O2 thats no longer in gas mixture is replaced by nitrogen. Also after 60 meters you get to have fun dealing with hypercapnia...

Were the bailouts used?

Sure you can do that, but it's ill advised because that takes away your ability to dil flush to safe ppO2 levels as you say.

Were the bailouts used?

It would also be a LONG descent - breathe the loop down to PO2 just above hypoxia, then descend a bit, then repeat as the PO2 rises from the descent, etc.. An of course, no way to flush down the loop if it gets too hot.

I didn't know her, but I'm gonna guess that it is more likely that there was some break in the communication chain than that she actually used air dil at 300 feet. @tursiops you sure about that info?

It would also be a LONG descent - breathe the loop down to PO2 just above hypoxia, then descend a bit, then repeat as the PO2 rises from the descent, etc.. An of course, no way to flush down the loop if it gets too hot.

I didn't know her, but I'm gonna guess that it is more likely that there was some break in the communication chain than that she actually used air dil at 300 feet. @tursiops you sure about that info?
You could breath down a loop on a long gradual swim.
If the plan is true/accurate, I would honestly consider suicide as a possible initiating cause. "Happy" people can be in pain inside too.

His exact words to me were, "She was on air."

I don't have the experience at 90 meters but it takes me around 10 minutes to breather it down from 1.3-1.5 to down bellow 0.5, that's not a long descent if along a nice wall or overgrown slope.

First, my condolences to her family and friends.
His exact words to me were, "She was on air."

I really really really hope that isn't actually the dil she was using if going to 300ft / 90m. :eek:

Surely not?

For whatever it is worth, I have been enjoying my diving a lot more since I went CCR. My photography has improved as well. I mean, I'm not saying that John should get a rebreather, but I don't think that it sucks all the fun out of diving.
sam,e ive done about 30 hours on my one and wish id got one earlier -sure theyre more fiddly but theres huge advantages -TIME being one of them

I’m rather curious about how common solo RB diving is, but I’ll start another thread elsewhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom