Shore Dive Experience Levels without Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you have a lot of great advice in this thread...

Hard sole booties...if you didn't own them, and you learned that you needed them from this thread - just finding out about that before going to Bonaire made this thread worth it's weight in gold to you...I mean, that would be the difference between fun and no fun :)

I own a hard copy of the reefguide book mentioned earlier...it is great. Many of the sites discuss difficult vs easy entry sites, and things to look out for. On some sites it even recommends specific routes. All of them discuss how to reach them by car - where they are on a small map.

In general nearly all dives on the leeward side where 99.9% of diving is happening are similar: all of the sites involve a kick off shore of varying distances from 25 yards to maybe 100 yards - until you are near where the reef starts at that point you descend. Every dive offers a wall or slope that you can follow at whatever depth you are comfortable with. You go out one direction on the wall, and turn back when you are 'halfway' on air or NDL dive time. Which direction you go out? Before picking a direction take a moment...stop kicking...see if you move at all, give it 30 seconds. If you move - swim out into the current, and you'll have it carrying you on the way back. Think there isn't a current? spend a moment looking at things on the wall see if things seem to be bending in one direction or another - like watching leaves on a tree branch looking for wind...sometimes a gentle current is present and you can't 'feel' it. Still no current? OK fine, flip a coin and go that way. During the dive remain aware that as you proceed you might find a current...if you do, keep in mind you might be fighting against it later. Currents are not common, but its certainly something to be aware of...and if you are having a great dive it is easily something you'll not notice if it is carrying away from your entry point on the first half of your dive.

Choosing the turn back point can be kind of interesting. We would go out at 80ft and turn back at 1500lbs/30 minutes into the dive or when we have our computers indicate our NDL time remaining is basically how long it took to get where we are - which ever is most limiting. On our return we were around 40-50ft, so our 1500lbs would go much farther on the way back. Also the shallow return means that our NDL time should be increasing on the way back. Your first few dives you will likely be a bit more conservative as you get a feel for things. Worst case scenario - you hit 700lbs or NDL before you get back to your starting point, make your way to the top of the wall, take your safety stop and head back to shore...if you had to walk to the truck, yeah, I mean it wouldn't be ideal but it's not the end of the world. If this happened I would leave one person with gear, walk back to truck and bring it to the wife and gear. It's never happened to me, but if it did - we would survive.

That being said - as you get a feel for what your turn point should be - this won't be an issue. Air integrated computers that tell you estimated air time remaining can be helpful as well. For the wife and myself it was easy - go out to 1500lbs or 30 minutes - and then turn back. Keep an eye on your NDL on your computer. It can be easy to get into deco because you have many long dives per day.

OK, on the way back...the goal here is to get back to the same spot on wall/slope you started on. A few sites (cliff, la machaca) have really easy navigational markers to guide you back (Cliff has a pipe that is supposedly the fiberoptic internet line for bonaire...it will take you right back to shore. La Machaca has a line the dive shop at shore has laid to guide divers). Windsock beach has a pier that you will spot when coming back - you follow the pier back to the beach. The salt pier has...well, the salt pier.

Other dive sites are more challenging...and people have various ways to 'mark' their way back. Here's what I do...before I descend I take a compass reading to where I parked, and mark it on my dial on my compass...this can be fun because I've had that dial move during a dive :)...at any rate...once on the bottom, I know I'm going to be coming back in about 40-50ft of water looking for this spot. So I have a smb that I put just the smallest puff of air into...I let out about 10ft of line on the reel, this meals the bouy sits about 10-15ft from where ever I put it. I do this in a sand patch in about 40-50ft of water with a 2lbs weight I get from the diveshop for the week. Then on return I just keep an eye out for it - it's pretty easy to spot. I collect it, and follow my compass reading back - this is usually where my safety stop takes place during the swim back. However if necessary stop and take the safety stop before you are back in 10 ft of water :)

If you have never deployed one, be prepared to be frustrated by your first attempt. You will invariably over inflate it - and it will shoot all the way to the surface...or worse carry you with it all the way to the surface...don't do that. There are only about 1000 youtube videos about deploying these. It's not hard, but like many things it will be awkward the first time. After you screw it up once you'll have it down. I let out about 10ft of line on the reel...lay the reel and 2lbs weight in a sand patch in about 45ft of water, put in a little puff of air - and start my dive.

- go to the last 2 seconds of that video and you can see how this might be helpful in determining where to head back to shore...that's mine deployed...it only takes the smallest puff of air. if you fill it it's going to carry your 2lbs weight right off the bottom.

I've seen other solutions that don't use an smb, but some other type of underwater marker. Many don't use anything except natural navigational features...I tip my hat to them...how they identified that it was the same giant brain coral the saw on the way out is pretty amazing to me. I recommend finding some way to mark it. Just don't use anything that is going to create litter, and whatever you use - put it in a sand patch...not on coral.

That's it...those are my tips.

3 easiest entries/exits:
Oil slick leap (there's a ladder!)
Yellow submarine - in front of dive friends shop...the shoreline is like a boat ramp you just walk down
windsock beach (sandy beach entry - easy entry but I do get sand in my booties!)

3 easiest to navigate without any extra markers:
Salt Pier - this is one of my favorites
wind sock beach - hard to miss the pier that leads back to the beach
cliff..there's a pipe running down the wall that goes from entry on the beach to curacao...it would be hard to miss.

We started shore diving w/o any guides right away once we got C-cards, though at Grand Cayman, not Bonaire. We were experienced snorkelers, however, and maybe this helped.

I'm just curious of what skill level you should have to do this without a dive master/guide? I've have approx 50 dives under my belt, however my wife just started diving last year and has about 14 dives.
If your OW (or similar) cert fulfills the ISO standard it claims to fulfil, both of you should be able to dive without a dm/guide holding your hand. No matter the number of post-cert dives.

boy oh boy. I can't believe the responses I'm getting. Not just the number of responses but the in depth detail to which people go in their responses. Just wanted to say thank you to each and everyone of you! This community is obviously very passionate in not only their own adventures, but helping others out as well!

IMG_5679.jpg
IMG_5678.jpg
IMG_5800.jpg
IMG_6038.jpg
IMG_5970.jpg
IMG_5985.jpg
You got a lot of good advice. I was in Bonaire last week, for the first time in 5 years (9th trip in total). A few thoughts:

1.) DiverSteve is not the only 'victim' of Angel City. Did 2 dives there this trip. 1st Dive, trying to get out, waves knocked me down twice. 2nd Dive, on entry I needed to step down off a ledge going in, maybe a 10 inch or so drop? This is also true at Hilma Hooker, and it's a problem you'll face at some sites, as the bottom you're stepping onto is uneven and you can't see it well due to surge. That 2nd dive at Angel City, going in, I stepped down onto a good-sized but highly mobile rock that went out from under my foot, I dropped, and waves rolled me around (atop my camera!) awhile before I could get back on my feet and hunt the fins wrested from me in the struggle.

2.) The shore is mostly dead coral pellet 'gravel,' or somewhat larger rocks, or iron shore. The 'gravel' shifts around under my feet. The iron shore like that shelf I needed to step off of is so rough/abrasive I'm not inclined to try sitting on it then standing into the deeper water, plus at Hilma Hooker there are lots of little pockets in the iron shore in the water, many with sea urchins in them.

3.) Going in, time the waves so you can avoid the larger ones on rough days. If you're struggling to get out, it may be harder to time it that way on exit.

4.) Even at Windsock, well known for easy entry/exit, there's some rocky structure sticking up even in the shallows, covered with light-colored material so it blended with sand, and I blundered into it.

I'll try to attach you a few pics up top from this trip so you can get a sense how some of this looks.

All the normal dives on the west side, you'll be fine. If my kids were getting certified all over again, this would be top of my list to bring any noob. Great vis, great temps, very little current, even a nice wreck from shore (I've always wanted to do this one at night). Dive at your own pace, and lots of good food on the island. Have fun!

Bonaire is my wife's favorite dive location. She is a timid diver with a few inordinate fears. She has blossomed in our 4 trips to Bonaire in the last 2 years. Her confidence has improved immeasurably, her air consumption has improved markedly. She has a bit over 300 dives now, This is a really great place to dive for divers just getting their fins. On the other hand, I have nearly 1900 dives and have a blast diving in Bonaire, particularly, because my wife is having such a good time.

Don't tie any markers to coral, dead or alive. I pulled 3 or 4 ribbons off of live coral last week.

As for books, also look into Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy. Great book that will tell you what dive sites are easy and what ones are hard, and the best ways to get in & out and navigate.

Leave your gloves at home, you can't wear them on the island.

Bring a light and enjoy the night diving. The tarpon will feed by your lights.

Have fun!

Don't tie any markers to coral, dead or alive. I pulled 3 or 4 ribbons off of live coral last week.

It's even more fun to move them around... change up the colours....tie a bunch of knots.... :)

Really, if your internal nav is reasonably well calibrated you won't get lost. Just keep note of what bearing is tangent to the shore on any particular dive (it does change quite a bit there as the shore curves in and out) and you'll be able to get back to 'close enough'. Then, if necessary, swim along the shore until you see your car. Enjoy the shallows - it's so shallow and air consumption is so low just swim around until you get bored.

Personally I'm not ashamed to pop up and check from 2m or less - each time I was within 50' of where I wanted to be and I was definitely not paying active attention to nav on the dives. There's lots of landmarks.

(I will debate a bit on salt pier being easy nav though - a lot of those pilings look the same and vis only allowed me to see 2 at a time, I actually found myself less certain there than other locations. You won't get lost - but you might not be exactly where you want to be.)

Something that has been brushed on but I'll emphasize - lots of urchins and fire coral at the entries. Despite my thin soled kayak boots and complete lack of neoprene I did manage to fare ok - but be mindful. (A less stubborn person would have rented proper boots - they are readily available.)

Also - I did not see STINAPA at a dive site the entire trip. If you were to cheat with gloves for entry/exit you probably wouldn't have a problem. Maybe something like finger-less bicycle gloves...? Apparently putting your fins on your hands is a popular technique. I found that using my shiny new and expensive camera housing as an impact barrier between me and the limestone worked quite well. The sidemount people have it easiest - they just walk in using the tanks as walking sticks.

(My 'fun' critter experience was the bar jacks using me as 'protection' for their hunting. I was diving solo and had one that stuck with me for a good 40 minutes. And the squid - so many squid...)

WfKJhy81oqS7jHsq5qhk77QTjNrf89rZe6WJa33q1Ayu4rRVP824X9PRjfovw?width=660&height=388&cropmode=none.jpg

And Hilma - completely alone, just past dusk - spectacular:

DB6l8zmIDhsSYQM258tWi2lFRD5eTOwFGlKGTTFHVshwxS1CHq9KRPbjVHt2g?width=660&height=411&cropmode=none.jpg

Don't tie any markers to coral, dead or alive.

I was rummaging through the weights looking for a 4# to do what rayaslin was talking about. Wanted to use a marker for the coral chute up at Candyland. Got a lecture for it from the shop staff. Apparently even setting a weight on the sand is a no-no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom