Epic conditions at Farnsworth Bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Last Sat. on the Giant Stride, 6 of us* braved flat, calm seas and 60 – 70 ft vis to dive Farnsworth Bank. We were hunting the spectacular purple-hued California hydrocoral, Stylaster californicus. Another boat was on the high spot, so for us most of the hydrocoral was 90 – 100 fsw with no current.

Although I only shot WA, I managed to find the cryptic snail, Pedicularia californica, which lives exclusively on hydrocoral (photo center).

S. californicus can reproduce 2 ways - either asexually by fragmentation, or sexually with male colonies releasing sperm into the water, fertilizing eggs brooded by females.

*Kevin Lee, John Bibb, Jerry Hall, Peter Hall, Phil Garner and Captain Jim Simmerman

Phil descending in blue water
Phil%20at%20Farnsworth1_DSC6621-X2.jpg

Stylaster%20californicus_DSC6554-X3.jpg

Stylaster%20californicus_DSC6596-X3.jpg

Stylaster%20californicus2_DSC6548-X3.jpg

Stylaster%20californicus_DSC6612-X3.jpg

Stylaster%20californicus_DSC6556-X3.jpg

Commensal snail, Pedicularia californica
Pedicularia_DSC6592-X3.jpg

Stylaster%20californicus_DSC6578-X3.jpg

Stylaster%20californicus_DSC6553-X3.jpg

blue_pixel.gif

Beautiful! Very nice to see it and a good amount of it. My one trip to California I didn't get to dive Farnsworth; fishing boats beat us to it that morning.

Richard.

My favorite Catalina dive site, but sadly one I will probably never get to dive again. Always nice to see the photos others take there, Merry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom