Proposed bp/w set up - comments please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

llyamah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

Some background: I have only 25 dives under my belt and typically am a 'holiday' diver in hot climates, although I have just done my drysuit specialty for UK diving.

I want to buy my first and only BCD. Initially I was looking at the Scubapro Hydros Pro or Aqua Lung Rogue, but I am thinking about going down the bp/w route instead. I want this to be fairly lightweight for travel but be able to cope with my drysuit diving (maybe by changing the backplate to a heavier one if needed)

As I don't know what I am doing, I thought I would come here and seek comments on my proposed setup.

1. Tecnomar Aluminium Backplate

2. Apeks WTX D30 Single Cylinder Wing

3. Apeks WTX Deluxe One Piece Harness

4. Apeks Weight System + Attachment System (might add this later and just dive with a belt for now)

5. Apeks Wing Screws x 2 (would these ones at half the price be compatible)

6. Apeks Grip Lock Cam Bands x 2 (or do I only need one?)

Also some specific questions:

A. The backplate is the only non-Apaks bit of kit and is much cheaper than other ones. Should I be concerned?

B. Is there anything I might be forgetting?

B. I am wondering whether, instead of all of this effort, I should just go down the xdeep ghost route. It would be a lot lighter. Thoughts welcome on that!

Thank you a lot.

im like you but from Canada first 25 dives were done with a jacket bcd and i wanted to switch.talked to the lds and the got me into a oms iq lite bp/w and i love it .we left it a soft back plate but can add a steel later (it just slides into a slot)but we added quick release pockets and a couple trim pockets .it weighs 8 lbs for travel to the tropics but works very nice with my dry suit as well in the Canadian cold

skip the weight system and aluminum plate, get a steel plate, cam trim weight pockets, and possibly a weighted sta. get an aluminum plate or travel plate separately later on if desired. apeks has slightly different slot spacing than some other brands, so the plate and the wing may not match up exactly without a sta.

skip the weight system and aluminum plate, get a steel plate, cam trim weight pockets, and possibly a weighted sta. get an aluminum plate or travel plate separately later on if desired.

+1. I actually switched from Alu to steel because of the extra weight. Even if I carry it in cabin luggage (and there's always the sharpies and my better half's jacket to check in), still, how much time do I spend dragging it around the airports vs. how much time do I spend wearing it underwater? Travel sucks anyway, a few extra pounds are not making that much of a difference there.

Underwater they mean I only need the trim weights on the camband.

skip the weight system and aluminum plate, get a steel plate, cam trim weight pockets, and possibly a weighted sta. get an aluminum plate or travel plate separately later on if desired. apeks has slightly different slot spacing than some other brands, so the plate and the wing may not match up exactly without a sta.

What about if I get an Apeks plate. Do I still need an STA?

What about if I get an Apeks plate. Do I still need an STA?

no, because they would have the right spacing to match up. that is the one drawback of plates and wings from different brands on single tank, the cam band slot spacing for single tank has not been standardized like the 11" hole spacing for doubles, so if they are different brands they may not match up 100% if you decide to skip the sta.

Something to consider for ease of donning and doffing if you go with a simple single harness system would be one compatible with or has something similar to the halycon cinch system

Yup, all good gear, will easily grow with you and advanced diving. The 30 wing is perfect for warm/cold. I’d go with a steel plate and trim weights instead of the weight system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom