Backwards Kick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried the Hog Tech 2 fin, but the blade was just too short for the surface swims I end up doing at the quarry. No propulsion. They definitely wouldn’t work on the big lake.

I have not tried the Dive Rite updated XT fins (or the old Slipstreams), so I can't say for sure, but the length is probably too long and there isn't much of a sidewall. Both of those make a less efficient fin, especially for backfinning. ...//...
I knew that I would be called on this. :)
...//... Wait, what is the compromise?
See Pic. Jet, old DR, new(est?) DR.

Old DR (seems to me) tried to be a neutral Jet with a much smaller sidewall. New DR is 'comfortable' and I can do a back kick with it if I have to. If I spent all my time back-kicking then I would want a dramatically different fin. Jets wouldn't even do it, need massive sidewalls. Oh, and notice the curves on the three fins.

So, for me, the new DR's are a good compromise...

3Fins.jpg

(Ignore green brush, Closest thing at hand to stabilise the fins. Two goldens shedding their summer coats...)

These will be great to watch later, doing my Intro Tech right now and back kick giving me trouble. Thanks for sharing.

I tried the Hog Tech 2 fin, but the blade was just too short for the surface swims I end up doing at the quarry. No propulsion. They definitely wouldn’t work on the big lake.
If you get a chance, do try the Dive Rite XTs. I started using them for dives with longer swims (both at surface and at depth) - plenty of power. Now my favorite fin.

stay out the water on land practicing till you build some muscle memory it will save time in the long run

...I can do a back kick with it if I have to. If I spent all my time back-kicking then I would want a dramatically different fin. Jets wouldn't even do it, need massive sidewalls. Oh, and notice the curves on the three fins...

I see the length isn't much longer and the curves are about the same. The sidewall is very important, but you already have these fins, so it doesn't really matter. Personally, I searched over time for the right fin for me that doesn't have any limitations for my diving in regard to your "I can do a back kick with it if I have to".

If you had to spend a lot of time back kicking, you would not need bigger sidewalls than the jetfins. Your legs and ankles might not love it because no one's feet are shaped like a square jetfin foot pocket, but the sidewalls are great.

I have had to spend a lot of time back kicking in current when I was not the smartest one to choose my position first when doing skills - back when I didn't know we could both be facing the current or I was the 3rd one out of luck having to back kick. Last month, I actually spent most of a couple of dives back kicking across from Fundies students to hold position and it was pretty much like any other kick. If I was wearing my old jetfins, I would have been "dying" fairly quickly, but I had no issues whatsoever back kicking with my Precision fins for much of 1.5 hours per dive.

Practice and having all the necessary components (trim, buoyancy, mechanics, backwards propulsion) fall into place are just as or more important than using the most ideal fins. Using conducive fins just makes it easier, more comfortable, and requires a lot less effort.

I just got a pair of Jetfins. Holy crap the spring straps are so freaking stiff that I didn’t have the hand strength to get them onto my heels. Buddy had to do it. I’ll have to stretch them over the winter. Had wanted something heavier for my doubles, but dang. Back to my Deep6 fins.
There is a version of the spring attachment that has a rubber bit with a hole so you can grip easily to it, I’ll take a picture of it and post it.

If you are flexible, I find it easier to sit down and put my feet over my other knee to put the fin rather than doing it standing up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom