Shore Dive Experience Levels without Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for books, also look into Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy. Great book that will tell you what dive sites are easy and what ones are hard, and the best ways to get in & out and navigate.

I have a copy of BSDME as well and thought it was helpful. But the Reef Smart guide blows it out of the water, with all of the information in BSDME plus far far more.

I was rummaging through the weights looking for a 4# to do what rayaslin was talking about. Wanted to use a marker for the coral chute up at Candyland. Got a lecture for it from the shop staff. Apparently even setting a weight on the sand is a no-no.
According to Stinapa you need a permit

• To remove anything from the bottom or put anything on the bottom of the BNMP.

Markers are too much trouble. pick a depth - 40' for me - and find a feature to mark your turn-to-shore point.

Be sure to turn around and look at it so you get the same perspective you'll have on your return.

As somebody already said,if you miss it's no big deal except for a few sites - candyland, nukove, may Be a couple of others I can't think of right now.

Basically, entry/navigation/exit Just ain't that hard. Don't get careless and y'all will be fine.

Have fun.

I have a copy of BSDME as well and thought it was helpful. But the Reef Smart guide blows it out of the water, with all of the information in BSDME plus far far more.

BSDME is by far the least useful of the three major guides for Bonaire. The reef smart is in a tier of its own by a huge margin. The local guide, that is also in Dutch, is next, BSDME served as a coaster and wasn’t even that great at that.

On some past trips I used an older edition of BSDME, and liked it. That said, my most recent trip I got some use out of the Reef Smart Bonaire guide, and I agree it was in a class by itself. The site entries included what I assume is a drone photo of the topside aspect, and that in conjunction with 'how to get there' guidance helped me finally find the Something Special site, and dive it.

Disclaimer: I'm one of those people GPS was made for, I am horrendous at dealing with verbally given navigational directions, and I need maps I can see (and pour over repeatedly even for simple routes).

That said, and not disparaging any other guide, a thumbs up to Reef Smart!

There is NEVER a bad time for Gelato! And thanks for the tip about the hard sole booties! I've noted that down!
Thanks Darrell!
Jason
I leave for Bonaire this Saturday, and my research also pointed out "have booties" for entry/exits. Since i don't normally wear booties, I quickly went to Promate Scuba site and ordered some generic booties for cheap. Got them in and they are true to fit. I'll let ya know if they work well in Bonaire. :)
BTW I'm taking my 12 year old AOW cert daughter, I'll have more feedback for you then on divinging too.

Hey Everyone,

My wife and I are planning a trip in the new year to go diving and Bonaire is at the top of our list. Doing a drive and dive seems ideal to both of us, however I'm just curious of what skill level you should have to do this without a dive master/guide? I've have approx 50 dives under my belt, however my wife just started diving last year and has about 14 dives. We are both physically fit, and she's a paramedic back home. What are, if any, the main challenges of shore diving in Bonaire and should we have any reason NOT to do the shore dives without a guide. Any thoughts and or opinions are welcome!

Thanks
JH

My 2nd dive trip ever, 25 years ago was to Bonaire. I had a total of 22 dives at the including my open water dive classes.

Diving Bonaire without guide is easy. The reef is a short swim from shore.

Start by swimming out to the boat buoy. I usually take a compass reading back to shore, but not really necessary. Drop down, you will be in about 30' of water. See which way the current is going. Do out to about 60 ' depth and slowly swim into the current until you hit 1500 psi.

Turn around and go yo about 45 to 50' and very slowly head back until you hit 800 psi and head in to 15' for saftey stop.

Head toward shore and very slowly surface. Look for your truck, exit.

I leave for Bonaire this Saturday, and my research also pointed out "have booties" for entry/exits. Since i don't normally wear booties, I quickly went to Promate Scuba site and ordered some generic booties for cheap. Got them in and they are true to fit. I'll let ya know if they work well in Bonaire. :)
BTW I'm taking my 12 year old AOW cert daughter, I'll have more feedback for you then on divinging too.

Let me know how it goes! Enjoy!
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom