Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update

Both 40s were on her. One was removed, dropped, recovered, by another member of the recovery team.
The 40s contained 80% (untouched, still full) and 20/20, NOT air as previously reported second hand.
Dil was air.
Handset showed 91m.

Was the 20/20 used?

As someone else noted though, an experienced CCR diver on air (diluent) chasing a droped cylinder to 90m would / should be highly unlikely (but IMO not out of the realms of possibly happening). I have seen a CCR diver upon surfacing, then chase something much less valuable to almost 70m (and get bent for his trouble).
Somebody went for a grappling hook as the third dive of the day at 70 meters and got dead for the matter ... quite a high profile case discussed here and elsewhere in SB.
Experience just helps normalizing deviance if you do not stick to the rules ...

(snip - disregard this bit on interpreting the gas mix statement - did not add up)

I'm also curious - there is a focus on a 'machine' failure (or planning error) but what are the odds of a 'human' failure - i.e. medical event - that would be impossible to fully recover from given the time/obligations to fully resurface? Being discovered, presumably neutral based on reports, part way up would seem to indicate an attempt to ascend properly but not being able to make it.

I am truly sorry for the loss of Fiona. I did not know her but as a fellow diver and human I too mourn her loss.

I'm not against rebreathers. On the contrary, I think the whole concept is totally rad and cool! Full disclosure, I've never used a rebreather or taken a course for using one. However, I have read up on them extensively. I find the physics, physiology, math and chemistry facinating. I've also spoken one on one with several notable authors of rebreather books and training materials to probe a little more into the subject. I think folks with the skill, intellect and risk tolerance who use rebreathers are a special breed and I applaud them. I ain't one of those people. The three H's scare the bejesus out of me - Hypercapnia; Hypoxia; and less so, but still possible: Hyperoxia. I'll always be a simple open circuit bubble maker. My risk tolerance pegs the bottom of the chart. :)

As a side note I've had a number of divers over the years (not CCR divers as far as I know) come up to me insisting my 1958 Mistral Double Hose regulator is a rebreather regardless of my protestations to the contrary. I'll stop rambling now....

've had a number of divers over the years (not CCR divers as far as I know) come up to me insisting my 1958 Mistral Double Hose regulator is a rebreather regardless of my protestations to the contrary
Do you think that that corrugated hose wrapping around your head might have something to do with that? ("that sure looks like a loop, gotta be a loop. F'sure.")

(snip - disregard this bit on interpreting the gas mix statement - did not add up)

I'm also curious - there is a focus on a 'machine' failure (or planning error) but what are the odds of a 'human' failure - i.e. medical event - that would be impossible to fully recover from given the time/obligations to fully resurface? Being discovered, presumably neutral based on reports, part way up would seem to indicate an attempt to ascend properly but not being able to make it.

It did not sound like she was neutral when found. A medical event is very much plausible. Hell, she could have even made it to the surface but if she fell unconscious and the loop falls out of her mouth the counterlungs would flood and send her back to the bottom. The computer will likely answer many questions. It's a coin toss whether we will see that information become public.

I am truly sorry for the loss of Fiona. I did not know her but as a fellow diver and human I too mourn her loss.

I'm not against rebreathers. On the contrary, I think the whole concept is totally rad and cool! Full disclosure, I've never used a rebreather or taken a course for using one. However, I have read up on them extensively. I find the physics, physiology, math and chemistry facinating. I've also spoken one on one with several notable authors of rebreather books and training materials to probe a little more into the subject. I think folks with the skill, intellect and risk tolerance who use rebreathers are a special breed and I applaud them. I ain't one of those people. The three H's scare the bejesus out of me - Hypercapnia; Hypoxia; and less so, but still possible: Hyperoxia. I'll always be a simple open circuit bubble maker. My risk tolerance pegs the bottom of the chart. :)....

Me 2.

... I was on the dock while she was setting up.....
See any cameras clipped off? { housed, strobes, lights, GoPro, etc}

Back
Top Bottom