AN/DP for a Sidemount Diver from a non-Sidemount Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBlenny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,

As I prepare to step into the realm if tec diving I am budgeting both time and money for the journey. I will complete TDI/PSAI sidemount and cavern in a few months, so the next logical step in my mind (apart from getting dives in the new configuration) is AN/DP. The question is whether it is justifiable to save time and money by taking those with a local (and reportedly very good) TDI instructor who doesn't teach sidemount, or put off training and go back to Protec for that training as well.

Any input from those who have already been down this road would be most welcome :)

If you learn to rig and carry a stage with you during the sidemount cavern class and learn the valve feathering/shutdown emergency procedures in sidemount there shouldn't be an issue unless the an/dp instructor wants you in the exact same configuration as them. If you're learning your configuration from a good cave instructor and master it I don't see where it would be any more difficult or a waste of time.

I am sure that you will get a bunch of different opinions on this subject and there are a few factors to consider.

What kind of dive experience do you have and what is your time table? Was the sidemount/cavern you first foray into "technical" diving?

1. Taking class in sidemount, from a non-sidemount instructor
This actually isn't a big deal. It would be preferable if the instructor had at least a basic understanding of side mount, but I would say that around 80-90% of the skills and topics that are covered in AN/DP aren't sidemount specific. That said, there are some benefits to doing it with an experienced side mount instructor especially since you yourself are new to the configuration.

2. Taking class in conditions you actually dive.
While this position generally has merit, if you are actively diving and practicing locally, it matters less where you do training

Without knowing anything about the current situation in WA, my recommendation is to go back down to ProTec. They have the benefit of sidemount experience and because I know that they will teach a thorough and stringent AN/DP course.

I did my normoxic class with them, along with all my cave training. They were great. What kind of sidemount rig are you using?

I am sure that you will get a bunch of different opinions on this subject and there are a few factors to consider.

What kind of dive experience do you have and what is your time table? Was the sidemount/cavern you first foray into "technical" diving?

1. Taking class in sidemount, from a non-sidemount instructor
This actually isn't a big deal. It would be preferable if the instructor had at least a basic understanding of side mount, but I would say that around 80-90% of the skills and topics that are covered in AN/DP aren't sidemount specific. That said, there are some benefits to doing it with an experienced side mount instructor especially since you yourself are new to the configuration.

2. Taking class in conditions you actually dive.
While this position generally has merit, if you are actively diving and practicing locally, it matters less where you do training

Without knowing anything about the current situation in WA, my recommendation is to go back down to ProTec. They have the benefit of sidemount experience and because I know that they will teach a thorough and stringent AN/DP course.

Yes, Sidemount and Cavern are the starting point of true technical diving for me. Up until now it's been cold water diving with a drysuit and pony bottle, so not easy tropical stuff, but definitely also not tec diving. As sidemount will be my primary style from this point onward, that 10% specific skillset is definitely something of value to me, and was the reason for my question.

I don't have a fixed timeline, but do want to get to AN/DP soon, as it will both let me do a number of local dives I've been wanting to see, and also prep me for full Cave at Protec. Doing both AN/DP and Cave in the same trip is more than I feel prepared to handle.

I did my normoxic class with them, along with all my cave training. They were great. What kind of sidemount rig are you using?

xDeep Stealth 2.0. Given their affinity for it, it's one of the reasons I chose Protec.

I was the instructor in a similar case back when sidemount first started getting popular. I called a friend who was already side mounting in caves and had him get in the pool with me to familiarize me with the set up before I taught the class

I helped a cave diver mate of mine experiment with his configurations with two steel 100s on a transpac II in his lounge

A couple of decades ago drinking

That's what I got

Sidemount is one of those configurations, that massively benefit from having an Instructor that is knowledgeable and proficient with yoru particular rig.

Having an experienced set of eyes in the water who knows how to tweak and adjust the rig to get the cylinders set exactly is quite important.

Getting trim (and buoyancy) right in the basic configuration is the foundation from which you'll build on when adding deco cylinders

So yes, havign an experienced SM instructor I would say is paramount for the practical in water lessons

I would reverse the order. Take AN/DP first then have your SM instructor tune you up in that config

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom