Remove battery from dive computer for the winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know how well the Puck Pro handles batteries when not in use, but I have used my Suunto Vyper Novo for 3 dive seasons with well over 100 dives and am still on the original battery. The battery has been in the DC continuously since I bought it. It still shows the battery as good eveytime I activate it. If the Puck has a battery indicator that shows the battery level, just check it to see what it is showing before your first dive in the spring. No point opening the computer until necessary.

No point in opening the compartment to remove a battery that is highly unlikely to corrode inside a dry sealed compartment. The battery won't last any longer sitting in a drawer next to the computer as compared to being inside the computer so there's that.
Of course the whole breaking of the seal- and the gasket probably not seating exactly the same way so there's a greater chance of a flat spot or a poor seal and an ultimate flood is certainly not worth the risk.

Those who say "go ahead because you should replace the battery every year" are engaging in a wasteful, environmental unfriendly practice of tossing perfectly good batteries that can last for 5 years or even more.

I really do see any legitimate reason to remove a perfectly good battery from a dive computer because winter is approaching.
I only change the battery when it is absolutely necessary because of Sod's Law!!!

In most situations, I'd leave the battery in. I think the only reason I'd remove it is if the battery was alkaline. As said, those can leak. Most other battery types wouldn't have this problem, so I'd leave in.

Seconded.

Here in green water country, the winter is the only time we have good vis. That's a great argument for just continuing diving.

Third better vis in winter.

No point in opening the compartment to remove a battery that is highly unlikely to corrode inside a dry sealed compartment. The battery won't last any longer sitting in a drawer next to the computer as compared to being inside the computer so there's that.
Of course the whole breaking of the seal- and the gasket probably not seating exactly the same way so there's a greater chance of a flat spot or a poor seal and an ultimate flood is certainly not worth the risk.

Those who say "go ahead because you should replace the battery every year" are engaging in a wasteful, environmental unfriendly practice of tossing perfectly good batteries that can last for 5 years or even more.
You mentioned the battery not lasting longer if removed from the computer. Does that hold true for other things, such as flashlights, boom boxes, etc.? I always thought removing batteries from anything makes them last longer. That may be wrong?

Shearwater recommends that batteries not be left in for long periods between dives. The batteries will drain and if they leak, the repair is not covered under warranty.

Shearwater recommends that batteries not be left in for long periods between dives. The batteries will drain and if they leak, the repair is not covered under warranty.
That's understandable for the Perdix and Petrel which use diver replacable batteries. But for DCs that use a CR2450 or other li-ion makes it more difficult and even risky to be removing and replacing the battery when not needed.

My mares quad has a battery indicator. I check it every once in a while just to see where I’m at currently. Year in and still shows a good battery.

I always thought removing batteries from anything makes them last longer. That may be wrong?

That would only be true if there is something inside the device that is consuming power- such as a smart TV which is typically on standby but not completely "off". As far as most (or all?) electronic dive gear components such as lights, when they're off, they're off and it makes no difference whether the battery is inside it or on a shelf next to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom