Pricing suggestions for aluminum 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pretty harsh words.maybe he doesnt know any better about the tanks .did you ever think of that.now letting him know about the dangers is fine but i bet there are alot of people not knowing about 6531 alloy tanks
Well that PSI review is *extremely* generous and giving ever benefit of the doubt to 6351 cylinders.

The reality is that they are barely worth more than scrap. In my area they are not worth the price of a hydro and VE

Well that PSI review is *extremely* generous and giving ever benefit of the doubt to 6351 cylinders.

The reality is that they are barely worth more than scrap. In my area they are not worth the price of a hydro and VE
im not saying they are not just that there are people not knowing that they are not worth buying or unaware the problems when selling .it is great that there are people out there looking out for their best interest but to shame someone that possibly and probably not know the dangers of this tank is pretty unfair and like i said harsh

pretty harsh words.maybe he doesnt know any better about the tanks .did you ever think of that.now letting him know about the dangers is fine but i bet there are alot of people not knowing about 6531 alloy tanks
I'm sorry you feel this way. We are talking about someone's legs, eyes, life. Sometimes you have to hit the donkey over the head with a 2x4 to get his attention. The OP has been on SB for 14 years; it is hard to imagine he hasn't heard about 6351 alloy tanks. OK, maybe he is clueless. I hope he is not now.

I'm sorry you feel this way. We are talking about someone's legs, eyes, life. Sometimes you have to hit the donkey over the head with a 2x4 to get his attention. The OP has been on SB for 14 years; it is hard to imagine he hasn't heard about 6351 alloy tanks. OK, maybe he is clueless. I hope he is not now.

You might start by hitting DOT on the head, instead of the OP, obviously DOT has not heard about them, because they could put them all out of service immediately.

Perhaps where the OP is, there is a different view of properly tested tanks being sold, filled, and used, than in your area.

I assume that's why the link disappeared.

For full disclosure, I retired my 6351 cylinders when the VE was required because I couldn't justify the added expense of testing tanks I really didn't use, because I had bought larger steel tanks to replace them for cold water diving. Since I had over two decades of use out of them, I repurposed them. Two newer AL tanks were given to me since then, so I don't need to make the choice when buying.

Bob

You might start by hitting DOT on the head, instead of the OP, obviously DOT has not heard about them, because they could put them all out of service immediately.

Perhaps where the OP is, there is a different view of properly tested tanks being sold, filled, and used, than in your area.

I assume that's why the link disappeared.

For full disclosure, I retired my 6351 cylinders when the VE was required because I couldn't justify the added expense of testing tanks I really didn't use, because I had bought larger steel tanks to replace them for cold water diving. Since I had over two decades of use out of them, I repurposed them. Two newer AL tanks were given to me since then, so I don't need to make the choice when buying.

Bob

Its right here
PSI-PCI - A short Review of 6351 Alloy Aluminum Cylinders

PSI continually reiterates two basic fallices: 1) the number of failures (it continues to rise) and 2) about the rate at which SLC can potentially proceed (more than one shop has done a VIP on a cylinder before hydro and found no SLC and then found SLC post hydro). Most failures nowadays are overseas where eddy current machines aren't common. And reporting is sketchier. Plus, many US shops just refuse to service or fill them so that severely limits the universe of possible failures here too.

Pricing of 6351 Al80s is the topic of this thread and $75 is way too high. In the Puget Sound / Seattle area they are worth less than the cost of a hydro with VE & VIP. Around $25-30 which is basically scrap value.

I am always shocked that people think there is a market for a 30 year old Al tank.

For an extra $100 you could buy a new tank which you know will last 20-30+ years. Why cheap out and save a $100 for a tank that may not pass viz,hydro, or eddy current. Will likely not last 10 years. And likely hasn’t been properly cared for the past 30 years.

And I haven’t mentioned the al alloy issue which means many shops won’t even fill it.

Back
Top Bottom