Logging Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I down load dives to MacDive on my iPhone. Www.mac-dive.com and also keep a paper log. I use a customized paper log from Www.divelogs.com

I recommend both of these highly. Mac-dive is way, way better than the app Suunto supplies for my Eon Core and I created some perfect (for me) log formats from dive logs. I use a condensed format for my regular dive sites and an expanded one when I travel and want more room to record the critters I saw.

So why still paper? I like to take written notes of things to do (or not screw up on) for my next dive. For instance today’s entry has some notes on navigating to points of interest at the local site. I have a sure fire way to find the HUGE octopuses den when I dive then again on Wednesday.

Landau. Are you able to upload photos like the program screen shots show?

Subsurface for me - it works with virtually every computer on the market, it logs everything you can think off (location, weights, tank size, start/finish pressures, buddy name, etc), is available for PC, Mac, Android and Iphone with cloud storage so dive information is available everywhere.

The software was written by Linus Torvalds (writer of Linux) and a group of pretty dedicated coders so if there are any missing features/computers, they can normally get them added fairly easily.

Oh and its free as well.

Another Subsurface user here. It downloads all the important info from my DC an then it's a smple mtter to manually enter other info such as dive site, buddy, dive notes, and dive gear used.

I have logged every dive since 1997. I enjoy having a paper log to refer back to and generally fill it out the day of the dive or shortly thereafter. I have a summary spreadsheet covering that period and added computer download in 2010.

I have been using DiveLogs since 2004 Scuba dive log refill packs, logbooks, binders, stamps, and accessories. Easy to use, replaceable pages in a small binder, all the information I want, and easy to archive
upload_2019-10-21_10-32-30.png

I dive independently, and I've gotten a lot of value from my rather detailed logs about different sites and their quality. Apart from the obvious advantage of keeping track of weighting vs exposure protection (or vice versa). I guess that if you basically dive on vacation, with commercial ops, you'd get less out of a detailed log.

I use Diving Log (www.divinglog.de) for my electronic log. I've tried Subsurface, but Diving Log fits me better. The cost of the program is rather negligible, and the PC/smartphone integration is fairly decent.

I'm going back to using a dive logbook. I will have the data on my computer and linked to my phone (Suunto movescount) but plan on tracking the details in an actual physical book.

I have been back and forth with apps and software and whatnot and just can't land on one that I like. I briefly had the Cosmiq computer and loved their dive log (online) but it doesn't work with the Suunto.

There is something to be said for the tangible, I believe.

I use the Shearwater app which synchs up with my Perdix, as that seems to be a good way to carry around the basic dive details.

I still "log" my dives in a paper format, but I use a hard-bound notebook (I like the Moleskine notebooks as they seem pretty durable) to log the dives. I have one notebook that I haul to site and use for "on the spot" notes, and another that I keep safe & dry at home.

This lets me put as much or as little detail in as I want. I often sketch dive sites, make comments about accessing the site, the bottom composition, the type of grade associated with a bottom profile, detailed notes about depths & features. This helps me plan dives in the future and select best mixes, etc. which can be important on a moderately deep dive (60 to 70') with a 2 hour bottom time at altitude if you want to avoid hellaciously long deco obligations.

I can also glue photos of the site or other features into the log, and can include all of my dive plan and then compare it to the actual dive profile.

I've referred back to these "logs" several times to plan dives and share site details with other divers. The ability to plan dives in details several years after my last dive at a site proved the value of recording all the details.

However, some of my buddies have a spreadsheet with location, depth & time. Totally minimalist. It seems to work for them. You should match your logs to your personality & diving style I guess.

I really like subsurface. it works between ios and windows which was a must have for me. I really like the dive planner that's included with it as well.

Divegoose I would appreciate that.
Landau thanks for the website's! I'm going to check them out

Took a bit of digging on the various storage devices I have, but I found version 1.0 of my dive log. This log contains the information that is valuable to me. I found that the log books you can buy had too much superfluous information that I did not find necessary. Feel free to copy the format if it works for you.

Dive safe !!

Divegoose

Attachments

• D I V E L O G #1.docx
    11.6 KB · Views: 85
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom