twist, button or hand held for DGX 600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there is another difference, the push (not button or twist) is a video light so it has a wider (120deg) angle making it suitable for video but not optimal as a light.

I have used a button 600 for about 30 dives now with no issues, great little light.

Another factor to consider is what your ultimate destination is. IF you have any inclination towards going DIR/GUE then this is not an acceptable light for training, even the twist is not acceptable because it uses only a rechargeable batteries and not alkaline so not an acceptable backup.

hi everyone ,

I'm interested in getting my first dive light. Going through the thread DGX 600 seems a suitable choice.

It seems the light has 3 different turn on option. Twist, button and push. Is there a different between the 3? or is it just personal preference? many thanks

Please take a look at this light. It has a button on the tail, the switch has proven to be very reliable.

One of the problems with a push button light is accidental activation. I like to be able to throw the charged up dive light in the gear bag and not worry that the 2,000 bounces it receives on a long boat ride will not inadvertently cause the button to be activated.

The solution I use to completely circumvent the accidental activation (button depression) is to unscrew the light head about 90 degress (a quarter turn). The ends of the light body are double (or triple) sealed with o-rings. So when you slightly unscrew the head, the light can no longer turn on - regardless of the position of the button. It's very easy to test, just turn the light on, unscrew the head until it goes off and then unscrew another few degrees for extra assurance. Then you can click the button switch to the off position for extra assurance.

When you get to the dive site, and before the dive, you should always check your dive light. In this situation, it takes 5 seconds to tighten the head and press the switch to confirm operation. If you forget to do this, and dive with the head slightly backed off, the light will not flood due to the multiple o-rings and length of the threaded and sealing faces. Of course, if you forget before the dive, you will need to tighten the head and press the button on the bottom , a 5 second delay.

So this light seems to have the convenience of the push button the the security of the "screw on" type of switch mechanism.

https://www.makospearguns.com/1000-Lumen-Dive-Light-p/m1000dl.htm

DESCRIPTION
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

clear1x1.gif

clear1x1.gif

1000 Lumen Dive Light (Rated to 450 feet deep)
If you are looking for an awesome dive light, this is it!

MAKO Spearguns has teamed up with the world’s leading dive light maker, OrcaTorch to offer this amazing dive light.

It delivers a HUGE 1000 Lumens! With 70 degree projection and 8 degree center beam, and is rated to a depth of 150 meters.

The MAKO 1000 Lumen Dive light runs on a rechargeable (one 18650 battery) for 5 hours 45 minutes in Low mode, and 2 hours 5 minutes in Bright mode.

It measures 5.75” long and has a push button on/off magnetic tail switch to easily control the three modes (bright, low, strobe).

Includes:
  • 1000 Lumen flashlight rated to 150 meters deep
  • Rechargeable 18650 battery
  • Battery charger
  • Extra O ring and replacement tail switch
dive-light-1000.jpg

dive-light-1000-package.jpg

The 1000 Dive Light includes the 1000 Lumen flashlight rated to 150 meters deep, rechargeable 18650 battery, battery charger, and carry case

Wrist Glove Flashlight Holder
Operate and store your dive light in hands free mode with this awesome "Wrist Glove Flashlight Holder".

The MAKO Spearguns 1000 Dive Light Wrist Glove is fully adjustable with the Velcro strap and securely holds your flashlight in place while diving.

there is another difference, the push (not button or twist) is a video light so it has a wider (120deg) angle making it suitable for video but not optimal as a light.

I have used a button 600 for about 30 dives now with no issues, great little light.

Another factor to consider is what your ultimate destination is. IF you have any inclination towards going DIR/GUE then this is not an acceptable light for training, even the twist is not acceptable because it uses only a rechargeable batteries and not alkaline so not an acceptable backup.
DGX currently has three versions of the 600, they no longer offer the tail push button with a tight beam that I have. The tail push button model has a 120 degree beam for video use. The twist on and body button models have an 8 degree beam. The body button version additionally offers a low beam and a strobe in addition to the full beam.
upload_2019-10-21_9-35-47.png

I've had the DGX600 twist for several years, no problems. Excellent burn time and 3 O-rings are easy to lube. At this price point why not buy one of each.

What is the burn time, if you don't mind me asking? I just bought one as a back up light for cave diving. I can't believe how bright it is. It says 1 hour burn time, which of course is a problem in cave diving, but I'm hoping it'll go a little longer. My other back up is one of piranha 6 X AAA lights, not nearly as bright but supposedly 8 hours burn time on alkaline batteries. I had 2 of them, in one the batteries leaked or something happened and I cannot get the battery cage out. So I thought I'd try the DGX600.

I'm not sure about the GUE ban on rechargeable back up lights, but I know plenty of cave divers that use them.

Hi @halocline

I have gotten in two 1 hour night dives a couple of times with a fresh charge, but then recharged the battery, so don't know how much, if any, was left. DGX tends to be conservative/honest in their ratings as to not over promise.

I more commonly use the lights intermittently on the reef or on wrecks during the day. I often use them for days before recharging.

Thanks, I did find a thread where someone tested his and came up with about 2 hours useful burn time. That would be fine for my current needs. I'm never 2 hours from an exit. This light would be perfect if it had a simple hi/lo switch to save burn time.

Thanks, I did find a thread where someone tested his and came up with about 2 hours useful burn time. That would be fine for my current needs. I'm never 2 hours from an exit. This light would be perfect if it had a simple hi/lo switch to save burn time.
The body button version has high/low/strobe. I bought them for my family. I have the old narrow beam tail button version, only on/off

So the twist version doesn’t offer the low or strobe setting. Just constant 1000lums?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom