Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder why most re-breathers only have 3 cells? Cost?
Mine runs 5 cells, 3 into the controller, 2 into a Nerd, that's true redundancy. I personally don't like the 3 cell only rigs (not the rigs themselves as such, but the logic of only 3 cells and piggybacking off two of them for the backup). With a 5 cell unit, You can lose 2 cells and its still a div-able rig.

I also like split canisters so even if one breaks through the sorb due to poor packing, the other should pick it up so minimising the risk of a CO2 hit. Maybe its just me but I do like redundancy, particularly with re-breathers. I can lose the controller and still stay on the loop by driving it manually and using the Nerd. I can lose the solenoid and stay on the loop and drive it manually. Controller battery goes flat, drive it manually.

The only thing not truly backed up is operator error (although if its in auto it should try and keep you alive, which is a good thing but it wont save one from stupidity)

Man, you'll completely hate the units that only have 2 cells then.

I was shocked to hear of Fi Fi's death. She was a very clever woman, who one would think knew what she was doing. I've been party to info downloaded from her unit. I suggest you all wait until full information is disclosed in the proper way.

If you've been provided the data from her computer perhaps the better approach would be to share the info or at a minimum correct anything that had been stated in this thread. Which at this point all we have learned is she was diving solo CC with two AL40's in Bonaire to a depth of 300ft. using gas mixes that are not recommended for the dive and she was found at 80ft. with the loop out of her mouth. Is any of this incorrect?

There are countless threads in this A&I forum where nobody requests that people not post. Many of these reports give us clues as to what happened and are never updated after the initial report, so we try to put the puzzle pieces together in an attempt to learn from them. Like I said earlier, there should not be favoritism for only certain victims. It is an insult to all the other victims where their accident has been swept under the rug.

Perhaps the A&I sub forum should be an opt in section of SB or non searchable. This would probably be better as friends and family of victims won't be able to find these threads as easily.

I was shocked to hear of Fi Fi's death. She was a very clever woman, who one would think knew what she was doing. I've been party to info downloaded from her unit. I suggest you all wait until full information is disclosed in the proper way.
What was your intent in disclosing you are aware of download information if you had no intention of sharing it? I don't see a contribution to the thread. Others have suggested limiting speculation without having privileged information

Let’s see - the man has a ‘scoop’ and he is the senior editor of Undercurrent.

Undercurrent or ScubaBoard?

Perhaps the A&I sub forum should be an opt in section of SB or non searchable. This would probably be better as friends and family of victims won't be able to find these threads as easily.

I was thinking about the searchable part.
It is possible to block certain areas of a website from being crawled by search engines. Thus they do not show up in search engine results.

I was thinking about the searchable part.
It is possible to block certain areas of a website from being crawled by search engines. Thus they do not show up in search engine results.
Yes, we have sections of SB that are that way, like Thumbs Down.

wait until full information is disclosed in the proper way.

In my experience, full information regarding specific dive accidents rarely is disclosed to the general public.

In my experience, full information regarding specific dive accidents rarely is disclosed to the general public.
That's because everyone with the information has an agenda.... Which isn't necessarily to disseminate the information.

That's because everyone with the information has an agenda.... Which isn't necessarily to disseminate the information.
And that's a shame.

For how long?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom