Apeks XTX50/Ocptopus XTX40 or Cressi MC9 SC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraPro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey,

I'm new on scubaboard and I'm quite new with diving.

I'm now looking for an appropriate regulator set for me and I don't know what to choose between the Apeks XTX50/Octopus XTX40 or the Cressi MC9 SC...I'm looking for a regulator that it's also good for cold water which I can use also for warm water.

Thx for your feedback :)

The XTX 50 is a very popular regulator.

Hi, welcome to Scubaboard, and to diving.

For me it's a no-brainer, I'd go with Apeks over Cressi anytime, especially for cold water. I'm sure the Cressi regs are fine too though.

Just a couple of points that maybe worth mentioning;
  • personally I don't like the location of the Venturi switch on the Cressi second stage you mention (minor issue really)
  • you can adjust the breathing resistance on the Apeks XTX50, you can't on the Cressi
  • although I haven't seen one in person, the Cressi second stage looks like a lightweight travel style reg. The XTX50 is a solid piece of gear with a metal barrel, and a joy to breath (I dive a XTX200 which is basically the same as a 50 but is paired with a different first stage)
  • the DST is a very well regarded 1st stage and many love a turret. Personally I prefer the FSR 1st stage (XTX200) for hose routing for the type diving I do (single tank rec in a conventional set up) so got the 200 on a deal, but I think that’s a minor thing (maybe I just like the blingy chrome on the 200 :wink:).

Anyway, that's my two pennies worth.

(get the Apeks)

the Cressi looks like a nice lightweight travel reg for warm water.

Almost any regulator can be used for warm water holiday diving type activity.
But it may get a little more challenging if you throw in very cold almost freezing water, mud, dirt, some accidental abuse during the dive like banging the reg and 1st stage to the rocks in a cave....and it still needs to deliver air reliably to get you home safely. That is more like Apeks territory but it is nothing wrong with them for normal warm water holiday diving though they may be a little bit heavier than the carbon fiber holiday regs :D
here Apeks regs are popular because they are easy and affordable to get serviced and there is service kits available if you choose to service them by yourself. And the water tends to be pretty cold year around when going deeper so all the regs still need to handle 4 Celcius water even in the middle of summer. I am sure you can find such diving spots in Switzerland as well.
I think the main issue with Apeks for some customers is the pricing if purchasing them in the USA or some other countries. That should not be a problem in Europe (don't know how the Brexit affects them though) . Here the Apeks models are comparable in price with other manufacturers regs which have similar functionality but if the other manufacturer's model is not cold water rated out of the box then Apeks is much cheaper because one does not need to purchase the cold water kit for it (talking about sealed Apeks 1st stages of course. for normal rec diving the DS4 and DST 1st stages are great and are pretty affordable as well. there is not much practical difference between their sealed 1st stages other than the hose routing and number of ports)

The XTX50/XTX40 combo is rock solid and will work at least down to 4C water. There's a reason the XTX50 is strongly preferred in the tech diver community here in Europe, although I'm pretty certain that there are other sets equally capable.

I can't say anything about the Cressi; I've neither used or seen one IRL.

don't know how the Brexit affects them though
Hmm, sensitive issue over here, but could potentially affect the price, depending on what happens :banghead:

though they may be a little bit heavier than the carbon fiber holiday
Not so much heavier that I would choose a travel style reg over an xtx50, the difference is a few grams. Plus it's neutral in water so not a factor in that regard.
Although if I did want a cold water rated travel reg I'd go with an Apeks - DS4, or DS4+ for the extra hp port.

Hmm, sensitive issue over here, but could potentially affect the price, depending on what happens :banghead:

Not so much heavier that I would choose a travel style reg over an xtx50, the difference is a few grams. Plus it's neutral in water so not a factor in that regard.
Although if I did want a cold water rated travel reg I'd go with an Apeks - DS4, or DS4+ for the extra hp port.
probably their prices will go up a little when the Brexit happens but surely they will continue without much harm.
the price is pretty small factor with these after all because regs last years and years. If the parts prices and service charges are affected then it may change something because the tech divers may have 10 or 15 sets of regs per diver which all need regular service and parts.

.... the 1st stages are NOT neutral in water. The brass bodied Apeks's are a bit more negative than some lighter weight alternatives. by my opinion they are more sturdy as well so the weight difference can be tolerated.
When travelling the 1st and 2nd stage dry weight may be a small factor though the weight of the hoses and the SPG vs. Console would affect the weight more I think

the 1st stages are NOT neutral in water. The brass bodied Apeks's are a bit more negative than some lighter weight alternatives.
Yes true, I was thinking more about the 2nd stage & octo. But still not enough of a difference to buy a lighter travel reg over a xtx, imo. The heavier 1st stages can help with trim too :D

Having said that, my wife actually has Apeks Flight regs and I was impressed how light and compact they are for travel and she really likes them, but I wouldn’t swap mine for it!!

Hey,

I'm new on scubaboard and I'm quite new with diving.

I'm now looking for an appropriate regulator set for me and I don't know what to choose between the Apeks XTX50/Octopus XTX40 or the Cressi MC9 SC...I'm looking for a regulator that it's also good for cold water which I can use also for warm water.

:)

You really shouldn't mention Cressi (any model) with Apex regulators in the same sentence or comparison, they aren't even close. They are in a totally different league. Cressi regulators are crap in comparison.

I'd recommend an XTX50 with an XTX 50 octo.

Brexit is NOT going to happen anytime sooner!!!
I have been using the same Apeks DS4 with TX50 for rec/tec dive over last 22yrs. No complaint whatsoever.
The only difference between 40 and 50 is the adjusting screw in the 2nd stage otherwise all the moving parts are the same. It is dead easy to convert the 40 to 50 if you can get hold of the relevant part. Below 10C is how Apeks defines cold water but doesn't explain the limit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom