Mystery - Forward propulsion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccrprospect

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I am qualified to, and usually dive with, doubles (backmount) and two stages. Recently, I have been noticing a trend where I have to fin quite vigorously to keep up with the dive leader (and it’s been the case with several different leaders/divemasters so it’s not a function of swimming speed). I can also see they are much more relaxed about finning than I am. All of them say I have an excellent frog kick as well as trim, so it’s not a matter of style either. I just find more difficulty moving FORWARD in the water. I have watched a few gopro videos of my dives and I at least fin 2-3x as often as they do in a given span of time. I always feel like I have to work to move forward. Result? More exhaustion and a relatively high sac rate (at least to my technical diving peers).

Any ideas as to the possible problem/solution?

First thing that comes to mind are what fins are you using? Some fins will give you speed when finning but produce no real power, especially in current.. Others are more efficient at producing power but lacking in speed. Still others are a good balance between the two but not necessarily excel at either.

Personally, I use the Mares Avanti fins and feel like they are a good compromise in both power (I can maintain a good pace without a lot of effort) and speed (if needed.)

I'm surprised none of the dive leaders/DMs have had any suggestions for you concerning this.

try the deep 6 eddy. the non-hd rk3s are a bit floppy. or dive rite XTs if you are not as concerned about the length.

haven't tried the scubapro go fins yet, but if they are stiff like the eddy or jetfin then those might be a good option too

Are you built the same way as your buddies/leaders? Same weights and gear, approximately?

I have watched a few gopro videos of my dives and I at least fin 2-3x as often as they do in a given span of time. I always feel like I have to work to move forward.

I know you said the people you dive with aprove of your technique, but, since you are mentioning a high rate of kicking, I thought to mention that you have to pay attention to the glide phase of the frog kick. That is, after bringing the fins together, keep them like this until you are almost static. If you start to prepare the next kick too early, you may brake your forward movement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom