Logging Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is something to be said for the tangible
Paper is really durable.

Digital is quite vulnerable and requires rather elaborate backup routines. Notwithstanding future computer format compatibility issues, which is another can of worms.

I love my logbooks. They're my history.
Just leafing through them sends me reminiscing about previous dive trips, and old dive buddies.
Now that I've reach an age when there are a lot more dives behind me than ahead of me, they'll mean even more as the years pass.

I make my own spiral-bound paper log books with the help of Kinkos.
Each logbook holds about three-hundred dives, and I redesign and update the layout and info at each new printing. I refer to them often for planning my weighting, exposure protection, depths, etc.

Recently I put all my dives and data in a spreadsheet and sent it up to the cloud.
I can bring it up on my home computer, or anywhere on my phone.
Word searches through my dives is easy, and I can instantly know how many times I've dived a particular site, or how many times I've dived with a particular buddy, along with other info.

So, between paper and electronic I feel I have the best of both.

K.

Logs can be good to keep. Recently on a dive I pointed out to the captain/owner that it was my 100th dive with that op. They only charged me half for that trip.

I use standard paper book(s) with basic info. on profile, temps., depths, etc. and a space for interesting stuff seen/collected. I Xerox each page and keep the copies in lead fire box in case the house burns down. If boat diving I leave the book in the car and take paper & pencil on board to record stuff (keep that in a jar then transfer info. to the book, so book stays dry).

It is an early AM in CenCal, my dear wife is returning from a trip and I have the company of my little dog Lucky So I reverted to my very early AM activity reading the "board" and was attracted to this thread and the responses.- which I previously gave what I consider very sound advice

A bit of sage advice -- Log every hyperbaric exposure-- from the swimming pool and your training to mud puddles, quarries to the ocean -- It is all hyperbaric exposure -- the body cannot identify if the water is fresh clear pool water, a mud puddle or ocean salt water.

This present generation is the very first generation in the history of man to experience massive often long term hyperbaric exposure. Who knows what effects such exposure will have on health and longevity ?

Based on the very small samples of those who began diving long before the popularity of recreational diving it is possible that audio and equilibrium systems will be impacted as well as orthopedic involvement in the form of aseptic bone necrosis and yet to be identified or named diving maladies

At this junction in the very short history of diving there is no data to determine if this can or will occur

Never the less I would suggest that you log ALL hyperbaric exposures

Logging dives has been around for a while --

The first US log book was designed in 1955 (64 years ago) by the late Dick Bonin founder of SCUBA Pro and marketed by the long gone company called "Dive Master: of Chicago
@drbill, and @Marie13, note there was a huge dive operation in your town 60 plus years ago and the taught diving -- Zale Parry is Dive Master #10).

The second dive log was designed by Tom Ebro in 1966 (11 years later - 53 years ago ) As a requirement for the LA County Underwater Instructors Association for use in the worlds first ADP, the LA CO three (3) month long many dives Advanced Diver Program, aka ADP and for use in the LA Co UICC, the worlds first underwater training program established in 1954, which continues as the worlds most demanding a prestigious diving instructors training program, ( you don't put a dollar in and by your certificate in that course)

The rest of the diving world did not immediately develop dive logs but when the did they used, aka change the cover and/or patterned their dive logs after LA Counties' log book.. Now there are many diving logs in every format-- ----choose one that fits your needs

I suspect that some organizations and resorts demand logs be maintained and presented ($$$)

It is recommend that you maintain a dive log- and take it on every dive trip and log every dive ASAP after the dive.
Log all that encompass hyperbaric exposure -in deep pool, a mud puddle, a quarry and the ocean- always include date, place depth and time. These entries are not only for your your benefit but are invaluable for the attending or treating doctor and nurses in the event of an unfortunate event or to treat some mysterious ailment when you reach dotage
According to my son Sam IV who is an ER & Hyperbaric doc most admits to ERs and for Hyperbaric treatment with diving related problems are not accompanied by the important dive history.

However dive history is becoming better with the advent of the dive computer and should always accompany the affected diver to a chamber for treatment

The present generation is the first generation in the history of man that has been massively and repeatedly exposed to hyperbaric environments.

** Certain protocols for safe diving are in place -- slower assents, the safety stops .etc but long term value is undetermined at this juncture in time
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FYI
During the 1980s and 1990s we had a loose organization in SoCal called "The fathers of free diving and spear fishing, " which was composed of as the title describes the fathers of free diving and spear fishing -- the ones who formed basis for "recreational" diving." All began long before Cousteau arrived in the US in 1948 with his bubble machine . these were the men and occasional woman who were there in the early days of the sport , some in the 1920s, others in began in the 1930s and the youngsters in the 1940s which included me and and my companions.

We met periodically for over 10 years and soon noticed our ranks were thinning in numbers and those attending were advancing in age..

It was determined to have one last meeting of what was remaining of the tribe ( no disrespect to native Americans or Canadians First Nations ) but that was our accepted name --no supper duper pooper diver/instructor ...Just a member of the tribe.

2000 was the date..the last gathering of the tribe.. letters were sent, telephoned calls were made and the fathers world wide responded and attended. This was the last great gathering of a group that was privileged and honored to be a participant and observer of a series of events that occurred for a very short time and never ever will be experienced again up on this earth.

The common thread was hearing aids and orthopedic devices all indicated was related to diving

That was 19 years ago all of the tribe from the 20s and 30s have departed to the big reef in the sky and only a smattering remain of the 1940s tribe .My fellow "Fathers" who began with me in the 1940s are among those in the big reef in the sky I am now experiencing the long term effect of hyperbaric exposures -- hearing is reduced (a lot!) we all had lots of trauma to the ears, equilibrium difficulties and a minimum amount of osteonecrosis, and of course some ecpected ambulatory difficulties ....But -- I would not hesitate do it all over again !!!

My dear wife and all my five children have been diving in excess of over 40 years and all the grand children are on their way as divers . and we are all aware of the possible long term effects-- But for me it was an honor to be a member of the fathers and on occasion pass on some unsolited perhaps sage advice
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
fyi
you might want to google
San Diego Bottom Scratcher Spear Fishing club- Organized in 1931 88 years ago
Long Beach Neptune's Spear Fishing club-Organized in 1940s by Bill Barada
Charlie Sturgil-began diving in 1929
Dr. Sam Miller 111 diver or SCUBA
Dr. Sam Miller, IV ( use numbers in our family )
SAM IV is a NAUI (Life member) PADI instructor and SSI Pro 5000 (5000 verified dives ) as well as a ER & Hyperbaric doctor --has an impressive CV

So keep on logging dives !
'I apologize for being a little off the subject--and wordy

SDM

Thanks for all the replies. Trying out each one and seeing which I like best.
I've already managed to mess up Subsurface and had to delete and will re-install this evening.

Is there a way to merge dives in MacDives?
Computer registered 5 individual dives from this weekend , but was one long training cert.

Would get instructions, dive down do scenario then come back up and get new instructions

Paper! written on the way in on the boat, though I don't plan on being a DM or grand poo-bah. Signed by my buddy du jour. I want to look back and see what weights and neoprene combo were right for which locale, aluminum versus steel tank, hoodie/ no hoodie, how I liked the boat and crew, dumb stuff that will help me remember that specific dive, that shark, that turtle, that manta, that cool wreck, that halocline. Not that concerned with number of hours underwater, but I do record it, since it's "there" on the page.

dive log, dive journal, dive diary.......a dive record by any other name makes sense.

I’ve been using both a log book and the Deepblu app. I’m going to give subsurface a try.

Is there a way to merge dives in MacDives?

Yes - covered in the help file ( a bit different procedure if you are on an iPhone or Mac) - I do this often when I have to pop up for a bit to wrangle a student or three.

Back
Top Bottom