What the Heck do I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To maintain a horizontal trim is NOT that difficult with jacket style bc.
Too many divers are carrying more than necessary additional weight in one place especially around the waist.

DGX BP/Wset up is very good and really do not see the point to purchase an travel bc for travelling.
Your money your choice.
You are right that it is not difficult to maintain the trim on jacket BC, but it is generally significantly easier to do so in BP/W.

You are right that it is not difficult to maintain the trim on jacket BC, but it is generally significantly easier to do so in BP/W.
I respect your opinion but have to disagree.
It is all down to the experience of the diver. An inexperienced diver would NOT know how to put on a BP/W properly, let alone maintaining horizontal trim.

It is all down to the experience of the diver. An inexperienced diver would NOT know how to put on a BP/W properly, let alone maintaining horizontal trim.

Sorry, honest question, but apart from remembering to thread the crotch strap (yes, I looked silly on that first dive), what is difficult about a PB/W? I found my Apeks WTX to be an immediate improvement over the jacket BCD I certified on.

To the OP: I can vouch for the build quality of the Apeks WTX and do travel with it, but it's admittedly heavy and if I were to buy again I would look into xDeep's line of BP/W's, probably the Ghost.

Sorry, honest question, but apart from remembering to thread the crotch strap (yes, I looked silly on that first dive), what is difficult about a PB/W? I found my Apeks WTX to be an immediate improvement over the jacket BCD I certified on.
Setting the should strap too tight is very common among new user.
I can only speak with my personal experience, diving jacket bc or BP/W makes no difference in maintaining a horizontal trim. Balance is the key word.

I can't comment on the Aqua Lung Outlaw or Rogue, but I can say I really liked the Cressi Travelite when I had it: B.C.D.s-Travelight Man. I dove that thing till it leaked and the weight pockets wouldn't hold weights anymore. :) I probably got close to 800 dives out of it.

I've since them moved up to the Apeks Black Ice and while this is not a "travel" BC, per se, it is a back inflate. I absolutely love it.

Poppycock!

A poorly trained diver maybe, or a diver who doesn't like to learn, can't read, or doesn't have access to YouTube.

Just because someone is inexperienced, does not mean they are incompetent. In fact, there are many divers out there with thousands of dives that struggle with basic skills. Experience does not make you good. Good training does.

I got OW certified in a BP/W. I’m still alive. I did have help from my shop setting it up, but that was it.

I got OW certified in a BP/W. I’m still alive. I did have help from my shop setting it up, but that was it.

Same here, no help from my shops but from folks on this board and research on internet. Its not rocket science.

However, I have to admit that I’m still working on my trim! But it would be hypocritical of me to blame the bp/w for that :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom