Recreational Ascent Rate in the last 15 feet

What is your RECREATIONAL ascent rate from SS to the surface? How often do you do a FIVE min stop?

• >100 fpm (I just go up)

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 60 fpm (15 sec)

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • 30 fpm (30 sec)

Votes: 69 29.9%
  • 15 fpm (60 sec)

Votes: 76 32.9%
  • 10 fpm (90 sec)

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • Less than 10 fpm (longer than 90 sec)

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Never do a 5 min SS

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • Sometimes do a 5 min SS

Votes: 49 21.2%
  • Often do a 5 min SS, even for shallower repetitive dives.

Votes: 52 22.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, if you want to be really, really anal, it's correct. Not every dive is a staged decompression dive, though.

That said, I just hate that cliché and have started saying "staged deco" instead of plain "deco" and "no-stop" instead of "no deco" only to avoid seeing it again.

That said, I just hate that cliché and have started saying "staged deco" instead of plain "deco" and "no-stop" instead of "no deco" only to avoid seeing it again.

'The fact is, all dives involve decompression since dissolved nitrogen must be eliminated at the end of the dive, but they do not all require stops. ... We prefer in this report to refer to dives without stops as "no-stop" dives, to avoid the implication that decompression is not involved; it always is.'

You're in good company, pity there's -- evidently -- only a handful of people who ever read this stuff. Oh well, it's only been out for quarter century and six months...

You should read a book sometime.

I read lots of books, thank you.

If I read a dive book that said all dives were deco dives, I would immediately toss it, because getting something so basic wrong is inexcusable.

A deco dive requires decompression. A dive that doesn’t require a mandatory deco stop is not s deco dive.

Don’t spread misinformation...

No, if you want to be really, really anal, it's correct. Not every dive is a staged decompression dive, though.

Do you agree that a diver can go straight to the surface from a NDL dive without injury, assuming reasonable ascent rate and no breath hold?

What does that tell you? That it was a deco dive?!

The answer is in the definition of the term...

NDL = No *Decompression* Limit!

That’s the threshold. If you’re under the NDL, it is by definition not a deco dive.

I read lots of books, thank you.
That's great. I can recommend Mark Powell's "Deco for divers". It might give you a bit of perspective on your previous blanket statement.

'The fact is, all dives involve decompression since dissolved nitrogen must be eliminated at the end of the dive,

Your basic assumption is wrong. On an NDL dive there’s no requirement to reduce or eliminate dissolved nitrogen BEFORE the end of the dive. (Good idea to minimize it, yes.)

It is possible to go from depth straight to the surface, depending on the profile.

It’s normal on a dive to finish off gassing on deck. All dive tables are assuming a certain amount of residual gas when exiting. If they didn’t, the times would be impractical and no one would use them.

The trick is how much off gassing is required in water before exiting.

Hence the invention of the term NDL, AKA No Stop Limit.

Your basic assumption is wrong.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Go get yourself a flux capacitor and a delorean so you can drive back to 1994 and tell it to the authors of DSAT report. You know, the people who brought you PADI tables and wheel and the rest of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom