Venting from short dive time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea, I got bitched at on Little Cayman for doing a 75 minute dive when we were supposed to be up in 60. I was one of the first in but not the last out. A couple with us had some slight trouble and had to get out and then back in. Didn`t hold anybody up but they still called me on it. Totally unnecessary.

We ran into this at Sandals in the Bahamas they told us 40 minutes per dive I came back at about 70 min both dives. They didn't go out the next day so we called Stuart Coves and did our diving with them the rest of the week. We will not go back to Sandals

Many of you are very selfish. The boats must stay on an approximate schedule to make their trips. A one hour limit is not unreasonable. I just got back from Bonaire and dived with Dive Friends. They had no problem with me jumping in as soon as we were ready. I got in 71 minutes/dive when most got about an hour. I was usually, but not always, the last diver out. You need to be a bit more considerate of the overall plan. If you want to dive your tank, you should be clear that is the policy ahead of time. Not many have that policy, Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman was one of them.

If you get on a bus expect that the bus is going to keep a schedule, not wait for you. If it is important to you to travel at your own pace buy a car or hire a taxi, will cost more but give you the flexibility you want.

Only one question really - did you discuss dive lengths with the operator before the trip? If you did saying you wanted 60+mins, they agreed and you didn't get it then you have a point to argue because you didn't get what you agreed to.

On the other hand if you didn't let the operator know you were wanting longer dive times and he schedules shorter trips to allow 2 dives then the fault is yours.

An operator can not be held responsible for something he didn't know about or agree to.

Yes, the published schedule is 60min. Its got better the next day after discussing with the DM. A diver ran low on air after 45min, we came up at 60min on my dsmb as agreed before the dive because I knew the site and conditions very well. Everybody was happy.

This is really a deal breaker for me, in warm water, good condition and no drift, I am looking at 60mins dives unless someones runs low on air. If the DM signals up, im not discussing underwater, I follow the leader because there might be a situation I am not aware of.

We don’t do bottom time but as a small op can get away with it. We have one guest who is good for 75/80 minutes. She usually does 3Ts so we limit her last dive. We go strictly with 500 back on the boat and no deco as a rule of thumb. Bigger boats with more guests and gear to get in and out of the water and load and unload at the dock and change tanks simply cannot make the schedule.

Every boat I've been on has given a time limit for the dive, usually 50-60 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom