Korean & Instructor drown - Phuket, Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NO. I told the dive guide before jumping into water that he will be my buddy.
If I do not have a buddy that I am familiar with, the dive guide is the ONLY choice.

So, what do you do if there are an equal number of divers on the boat plus the dive guide? Do you leave another diver without a buddy because you don't know him/her, and attach yourself to the dive guide, or do you force the dive guide into a threesome? Other than local diving, almost all of my dive buddies have been insta-buddies, some of which have been great, and others not so good. However, I have never turned down a dive buddy request or a pairing by the DM. The way I see it, the insta-buddy might need my help during the dive, or I might be the one needing help. Either way, I am happy to be there to help if needed, or to have potential help if I need it.

Do you end up with more buddies than you started with ?
Nearby boat. My CD lost a customer to another dive boat once. He has since worn as much pink as possible to stand out.

So, what do you do if there are an equal number of divers on the boat plus the dive guide? Do you leave another diver without a buddy because you don't know him/her, and attach yourself to the dive guide, or do you force the dive guide into a threesome? Other than local diving, almost all of my dive buddies have been insta-buddies, some of which have been great, and others not so good. However, I have never turned down a dive buddy request or a pairing by the DM. The way I see it, the insta-buddy might need my help during the dive, or I might be the one needing help. Either way, I am happy to be there to help if needed, or to have potential help if I need it.
What is wrong with threesome?
I have buddied with an AOW dive who could not even clear her mask! And I have to demonstrate the technique to her!!! I was asked to buddy someone who could not even know how to put on the weight belt! I can go on and on.....BTW, could they offer their assistance if I needed?

I am ready to help but NOT baby sitting.

I have buddied with an AOW dive who could not even clear her mask! And I have to demonstrate the technique to her!!! I was asked to buddy someone who could not even know how to put on the weight belt! I can go on and on.....BTW, could they offer their assistance if I needed?

Nothing wrong with a threesome dive buddy set up. I have used that option many times. However, for obvious reasons, I do not like to see the DM being a dive buddy, much less in a threesome. DMs and Instructors are generally very good, but they are not superhuman. As a dive buddy/threesom, they likely may not be able to handle a major problem with their dive buddy(s) without adversely impacting their responsibilities to the rest of the dive group. I don't like baby sitting either, but sometimes that is what has to be done, and I would rather baby sit if I can help a non-proficient diver than let them flounder around and maybe get hurt or worse.

Not everyone has experience with weight belts, so I could understand assisting with that one. But, can't perform a basic mask clearing, would be an instant nope. Time for that person to pay up and do a refresher with the DM.

I really felt sorry for the Thai(?) instructor who came to assist and end up losing his(her?) life as well.

Off topic

39 divers on the boat. It is this kind of dive boat that every diver should avoid at all cost! I have been on one before and it was also in Phuket. I signed up in a dive shop and they never told me that I have to share the boat with other divers from different shop. There were at least 30+ divers on board and the dive at King Cruiser Wreck was absolutely a joke.

Shop carefully especially in Phuket.

agreed!

NO. I told the dive guide before jumping into water that he will be my buddy.
If I do not have a buddy that I am familiar with, the dive guide is the ONLY choice.
The guide is never your buddy. He may agree, but you are not his only customer and you’ll only get some of his attention. Get a solo cert and carry your own alternate air supply.

Off topic

39 divers on the boat. It is this kind of dive boat that every diver should avoid at all cost! I have been on one before and it was also in Phuket. I signed up in a dive shop and they never told me that I have to share the boat with other divers from different shop. There were at least 30+ divers on board and the dive at King Cruiser Wreck was absolutely a joke.

Shop carefully especially in Phuket.

OFF TOPIC

I dove with a company off Phuket and there were 60 of us on one massive boat. Three boats went out all to the same spots, it was bedlam. That dive operation lost two divers on a night dive, they thankfully were picked up by another nearby boat and dropped back off with us.

I agree, shop very carefully when choosing dive ops in Phuket. Or better yet, go to Koh Tao, Koh Samui or Koh P'nang. Much better diving and better dive shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom