New Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... and we are diving with 25 year old regulators that we want to replace.

There are a few 25-year-old regulators that are able to be serviced up to current standards. Which ones do you have? I would hate to recommend a replacement if you already had, for instance, a Scubapro MK20 first stage with G250 second stage. It would be hard to improve on those for $600.

Keep in mind that if you buy used, you need to factor in an immediate service to avoid the "buyer beware" factor. So add $150-175 to the price you are offered.

If a function check turns out perfect, and they are sold as having been serviced recently, then you might dodge that. But...

There are regs tat are OEM regs. I have one I got from a shop new for 100 bucks. It is a some what copy of another sell know brand but with out their logo on it. I can see you want bang for you buck so talk to your LDS and ask about regs. many brands use the same or very similar rebuild kits which should tell you that there is one maker and labels regs with the distributer on it.

long ago in the says of VHS recorders there were only perhaps 4 manufacturers of them. there were a hundred models on the market but they are internally all the same 4 varieties with a case cover to support controls in different places and the logo of sears or wards or whatever the brand name is.

Look at this

Gear

the pic of the reg is not an uncommon reg sold (if I am not mistaken It probably has some maker ID on it but not a distributer id on it like SP or sherewood etc It looks like the OEM reg and perhaps takes a SP or other name brand kit to rebuild. Although the secondary has oceanic on it , it does not mean the first stage is oceanic also.

here is another lonk to a SB thread.... you dont have tp pay big to get big wuality or preformance.

Brand Map / Guide: A family tree, a short bio. Help me out!

Its Sony guts...

-Z

If diving just two weeks a year, I'm guessing you're warm water vacation divers. You may want to look at the Deep6 Scribble series. Deep6 has them on their website under First Stages and Second stages and I'm sure they'd build you a set if you asked, even though it's not listed.

Alternatively, you can buy a package of the same regs from Dive Gear Express for $449
DGX Custom - Deep Six DGX Streamlined OW Reg Package | Dive Gear Express®

To answer your question, if you just need a warm water travel reg, yes you can get a set for $600.
The Scribble is out of stock and last I heard, not coming back.

the dgx deep 6 regs are NOT the same as the deep 6 signature regs you buy directly from deep 6. While the scribble first is similar it is not the same as it doesn’t have the swivel. The 2nds are completely different units all together.
The DGX D6 regs are the same as the HOG D1. Which has been brought back.

The DGX D6 regs are the same as the HOG D1. Which has been brought back.
that’s not what was said nor what I was correcting. It was stated the dgx deep 6 regs are the same as the ones offered directly through deep 6. Which is not the case at all. Not for the 1st stage nor the 2nd stages.

the dgx deep 6 regs are NOT the same as the deep 6 signature regs you buy directly from deep 6. While the scribble first is similar it is not the same as it doesn’t have the swivel. The 2nds are completely different units all together.

I will stand corrected. I knew the second stages were not the same (I perhaps posted hastily) and I checked the Deep6 website before I posted and they were listed available.

What are the differences between the DGX Deep6 first stage and the Scribble first stage? I'm curious but have an overabundance of Signature regs already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom