Bolt Snap Orientation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agardner

Registered
Reaction score
Why are primary equipment bolt snaps oriented so that the gate faces outwards (and secondary face inwards)? I can deduce why primary equipment faces a different way to secondary, but not why things are this way around.

If anything, I'd expect it to be safer to have the gate against the body to prevent accidental opening?

Do you mean how bolt snaps are clipped to a chest D-Ring for example? Gate facing outwards because of the clipping technique, coming from underneath the D-Ring. Some people like to clip their backup lights with the gate facing inwards for easier identification, but that's personal preference. Preventing accidental opening isn't really a concern with that.

Yes, I mean how bolt snaps are clipped to chest d-ring etc.

That video showed exactly what I said in my original post. Primaries with gate outwards, secondaries with gates in... But it didn't explain (or I missed) why the primary is outwards.

His SPG gate is gate is towards his back, so by the same primary / secondary logic, shouldn't the SPG bolt snap gate be pointing forwards?

"clipping technique"... What clipping technique? Who decided that was my "clipping technique"?

If the answer is "convention" then that's fine too... I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I like to understand why things are the way they are, in too many parts of life, things become a "best practice" just because someone decided it one day. Then someone else asked the "expert" and it became "the way".

< Speculative commentary warning >

Long before there was SCUBA diving there were rock climbing and carabiners.

The opening side of the carabiner faced out so that if there was an unintended opening of the carabiner, movement of the carabiner away from the climber would be restricted by the back (fixed) side of the carabiner. Further, it made routing of the rope through a carabiner easier because the gate is exposed. An alpinist is able to get the rope into the carabiner quickly and securely without much fiddling.

Having the sliding pin side of the bolt snap against the body allows for movement of the sliding pin against the body (or any donned gear) thus precipitating conditions for an accidental opening and, if there is force or gravity to pull the bolt snap and the equipment away from the body, to fall from the D-ring.

However, I don’t like sweeping up against a D-ring with the opening of the bolt snap skyward and away. Easy to miss. I prefer to sweep down with the opening side of the bolt snap towards me and groundward.

I just watch my kit closely to make sure I’m not having accidental openings.

Because your thumb, is on the inside, of your hand!

hey mate I'm almost halfway done with the subtitles
do you want me to grab you a pair of glasses as well

< Speculative commentary warning >

Long before there was SCUBA diving there were rock climbing and carabiners.

The opening side of the carabiner faced out so that if there was an unintended opening of the carabiner, movement of the carabiner away from the climber would be restricted by the back (fixed) side of the carabiner. Further, it made routing of the rope through a carabiner easier because the gate is exposed. An alpinist is able to get the rope into the carabiner quickly and securely without much fiddling.

As a long time multi-pitch trad climber, the idea behind orienting the carabiner gate outward is primarily so that in the event of a fall, the gate of the biner will be less likely to slap the rock and open up which significantly reduces the strength of the carabiner and can lead to its failure. In fact though, the way a carabiner hangs on a sling/runner/quick draw, it actually hangs sideways...it is how the rope is clipped into the sling that determines whether or not the gate will be between the rope and the rock or "facing out",,,the orientation of the biner still usually rests parallel with the face of the rock until the rope/biner is weighted...and even then it may still remain parallel will the face of the rock depending on a bunch of factors. Having the open end of the gate downwards and oriented left or right based on which hand is being used is what facilitates the climbers ability to clip the rope.

OP,
Here is another Innerspace Explorer (ISE) video where the techinique of clipping is discussed:

I also think you missed the explanation in the video posted by another member above. In that video, if I recall correctly, he mentions that everything is clipped with the boltsnap gate outward, except the primary 2nd stage's boltsnap...again if I recall correctly (it has been sometime since I watched that video), the idea he conveys is that one uses only one hand when they are clipping and unclipping and should not reach across the body to unclip/clip nor should they turn their head to do so, the way the boltsnaps face allows for tactile recognition of whether on is unclipping their reg or a backup torch.

Now whether you want to follow ISE's recommendation or GUE, or DIR, or anyone else's is completely up to you. Figure out what works best for you and make that your muscle memory so that you can manipulate your gear easily and efficiently for yourself.

-Z

I simply find it easier to clip gate-out than gate in.
IME it's even more "easier" that way if I'm wearing thick wetgloves or drygloves+liners. When I have very little sense of touch it's a lot easier for me to follow the harness up, hit the D-ring and then pull the bolt snap out from my chest than to try to find the D-ring with the gate facing inwards. Same with the SPG: Gate facing forwards, start behind the left hip D-ring and just pull slightly outwards when the boltsnap hits the D-ring.

While I can clip off a boltsnap with the gate facing inwards fairly easily with bare hands, I think it's a major PITA with thick gloves.

all my clips face the same way.
Me too.

It is easier to access the gate knob if it is facing outwards. You will notice this especially with heavy gloves and when on land when the weight of the clipped gear pulls the boltsnaps down so that you would need to lift them to access the knob if they would be facing inwards. I find the snaps to be hell of a difficult to use if they are facing in... to the point of being unable to open them underwater with gloves on. Take into account that you may not see what you are doing and need to do everything by feel only. It is easy to do anything you want in the pool when you are using bare hands and no hood but even a small bit of added thermal protection makes simple things incredibly challenging. You can't see clearly what you are doing because the hood etc. limit movement AND you can't feel anything because of the gloves. I would not want to even try opening one of those small plastic "suicide clips" underwater with the gloves and suit I am normally diving with. Probably the most practical way would be to just cut it open with the knife or break it by twisting it and then replace it with a proper boltsnap when back home:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom