Diving in Florida late Feb/early March - Junior Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SarahSue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some advice on where to take my son for our upcoming weekend dive trip. We have been certified for about 6 months and took a big trip to Belize last May with extended family (7 total dives there). So fun!
We have a flight into Ft. Lauderdale on a Thursday and we're flying back to Denver on Monday.
I'll be renting a car and that is as far as I've gotten so far. I'd love advice on where to stay/dive site recommendations (Key Largo?) and dive operators to use. We will need to rent everything since we don't own yet.

Any and all thoughts are welcome - I wasn't in charge of our Belize trip, so this is the first one I've planned.

I'll be searching through the forum too - thanks in advance!
Sarah

I suggest Key Largo.
Rainbow Reef Dive Center puts free guides in the water and they go to nice reefs with lots of pretty fishes. Reefs are around 30 ft depth.
For newer divers they are great.
The weather around Feb -- March can be iffy and Rainbow Reef makes it easy as they dont require deposits.
Their website is user friendly and they have upcoming weather reports. You can also call them the day before and they will tell you how the weathers looking.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide

It's often said, and I believe it's true, that there are more dive shops than gas stations in the Keys. Plenty of them are good. I'm also a Rainbow Reef customer--used them my first time, never had a reason to look elsewhere.

I'd nail down the lodging before picking a dive operator, because good lodging could be scarce in peak season.

Are you looking budget (Rainbow Reef has stay/dive packages with the Holiday Inn Express in Islamorada) or full-service resort (Bakers Cay, a Hilton Curio Collection also in Islamorada was very nice--the more so since I paid with points instead of dollars)?

After Belize, Ft Lauderdale may not be as exciting.
from my limited experience: I would second Rainbow Reef in Key Largo. Great day trip and great service by the RR team. you would need to drive early in the morning to get there on time, but well worth it. Better reefs than Ft Lauderdale.

If you want to stay in Ft Lauderdale, I often go out with Sea Experience. Love them. The reef in Ft Lauderdale is OK, not great. SE usually have 1 deep dive to a wreck, and 1 shallow dive. so that is always fun.
bring your wetsuit.

Thank you very much for the responses so far! I really appreciate it. I'd say I'm looking to lean towards budget for the accommodations. I'll take a look at the Holiday Inn Express... sadly, I don't have points to spend and as long as the beds are comfortable, I'm not too picky. :)

Keep in mind that water can be chilly at that time of the year:
Fort-Lauderdale-14th-Street.png

I would hit Key Largo, which dive shop is to your preferance as there are many. Me I am a Horizon Diver guy but they do everything I enjoy in diving. There is good lodging there but get it in advance as it can fill up quick and leaves you only the very expensive or very cheap places, Marriot has a great location near Rainbow Reef, Sharkeys (good food) and Divers Direct (just in case lol) Enjoy your trip, I am heading down this weekend for some fun myself!

+1 Key Largo

Consider picking up 3ml wet suits, the bigger retail outlets usually have very good deals on their house brand stuff. Especially if you subtract out the three day rental you will pay if you don't.

+1 Key Largo

Consider picking up 3ml wet suits, the bigger retail outlets usually have very good deals on their house brand stuff. Especially if you subtract out the three day rental you will pay if you don't.
Thank you! Someone just recommended 5ml suits - do you think that is overkill?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom