I Did My Manatee Trip Wrong - Tell Me How To Do It Right

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A couple years ago, I was able to clear off 3 days in January to head down to N. Central Florida for a quick trip. For 10 years now, I've wanted to try a few things in this location - dive in Blue Grotto, drift dive in the Rainbow River, and snorkel/take some pics with the Manatees. I was able to fit all this in, plus a quick dive in Alexander Springs. Blue Grotto, Rainbow River, even Alexander Springs all met my expectations. Lots of fun, very different than my previous dives, clear water. But the snorkel with the Manatees was a really big disappointment.

Here are the specifics. We only had one morning to do this, since we were flying back that evening. We went with Crystal River Watersports. It was mid-january and it was cold - there was ice on the dock where the pontoon boat resided. The water was about 40 deg. warmer than the air. I'm not 100% sure where we went, but we left the dock, motored out to the Crystal River for about 30 minutes, and came to the snorkel site. The site was a cove and was extremely shallow, average depth 2-3 ft. The boat was anchored a little farther from the cove, in a little deeper water. Visibility in the cove was horrible - maybe 1-2ft. It was also really crowded. Probably 4-5 boats at the same site. They tried to spread the people out to avoid stressing the manatees, but it didn't really work. There were many manatees there, but you couldn't see them unless they came right up on you underwater. When we swam back to the boat, the vis. was better (~5ft.) and I got a few decent shots with manatees chewing on the anchor line (which seemed bad since it's right next to the outboard).

So, to summarize, I was looking for something like this:

manatee1.jpg

(credit: threesistersspringsvisitor.org/)

And what I got was this:

manatee2.jpg

manatee3.jpg

(My pictures)

I'm planning to go back and devote some more time to this. What should I do differently? Was it bad luck, weather conditions, wrong location? What I would like is clear blue water and a chance to observe/photograph these incredible creatures in good conditions.

Note: I'm not looking to bypass any regulations, scuba where you're not supposed to scuba, touch anything, get too close, etc. I fully support all the protections and want to abide by any applicable rules.

Thanks for any advice.

but you still got to swim with big fluffy water-cows. all in all, beats what I'm doing right now.

I have always rented a jon boat - gotten out as early as I could get them to let me (usually 8am). Gone to 3-sisters spring and if they are not there, gone over to the other locations (I'd have to look them up). Last year the first day out we saw maybe two manatees. I think a mom and baby. Next day (very next day), we went into 3 sisters springs and it worked out a large group was leaving just as we got there. My two boys and myself were the ONLY ones in there and around 20 manatees that were tucked deep into their marked off area were coming out. They swam all around us for 15minutes or so. We then went over to the other two big named springs (jurrassic and something else) and there were dozens of manatees there as well with small crowds.
Another trip we had our own boat and went upstream on weeki watchee and dove at hospital hole. 4 manatees swam by when were gearing up in the water. The dive was blah as vis was not that good, there were zero fish. We did a short dive and came back up - the 4 manatees again swam over to us. We kneeled in 3-4' of water. They rubbed up against us and basically went to sleep next to us. We sat there watching them for 20-30 minutes. We have also rented kayaks on weeki watchee and usually saw two or three manatees, but always from the kayak.
So there are a few places - none are really guaranteed to have manatees where you can be close to them, but some days you get lucky!
Good luck on your next trip!

That's about as good as you're going to get in Kings Bay..... High levels of nutrients in the water have made it a perpetual algae bloom. The closer you can get to 3 sisters spring the better vis you'll have. You have to kayak it, don't know any charters that take people back there. The USFWS sometimes closes the springs when the gulf gets cooler and manatees start to file in. And yes, there are lots of rules.

Three Sisters Springs, Crystal River, Florida

No matter what, kayaking is definitely a better way to get around in there. Even if you don't get to snorkel, paddling around with manatees is fun.

I have rented paddle boards from Hunter Springs Kayaks, no affiliation, they're just a good outfit. They launch you from hunters springs park a couple blocks to south of their building.

Blue Springs in central FL is another option. Swimming is prohibited Nov-March, but if there is a cold snap in late Oct or early March, you might have a chance of seeing Manatees there. It looks more like your first picture because water flow out of it is much higher and it's in an undeveloped park.

Good luck !

I have had good luck going with Birds Underwater. They go out early before a lot of the other ops. As ScubaBunga noted, getting out early before the crowds makes a big difference as does avoiding certain times like the Manatee Festival in January. Try to go during a weekday when most people are at work or school. Visibility can be hit or miss depending on local rainfall/winter storms. As the others have said, “Good Luck” and drop a trip report if you get a chance to go.

I did a snorkel and dive combo with American Pro a few years ago. You snorkel in Chrystal River for 30 or 40 minutes then a guide takes you in Kings Spring on scuba. The cavern isn't all that wonderful, but exiting it slowly is magical. When I started swimming out of the cavern, there were manatees and snook swimming or simply hanging around all about me. You can't scuba with the manatees, but you can take your sweet time exiting the spring/cavern and marvel at the beasts.

I didn't really enjoy the snorkel part all that well. Crystal River vis is so-so, but its better on scuba at depth looking up than on the surface looking down

BTW. I think your photos are pretty cool

When you go, make sure you wash and disinfect your gear and self thoroughly. From a sanitation perspective, swimming with manatees is effectively swimming in a flooded cow pasture.

When you go, make sure you wash and disinfect your gear and self thoroughly. From a sanitation perspective, swimming with manatees is effectively swimming in a flooded cow pasture.

Does that mean you get a poo diver patch? Man, I really want a poo diver patch...

Only if you take the specialty course...

I would so do that. Anyone from PADI paying attention here?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom