Diving in Florida late Feb/early March - Junior Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal preference how easily do you both get cold?

That is one of those deeply personal things, it really depends on the individual tolerance for cold. Also how many dives per day, and how many days in a row your going to dive.

I'm a fairly large guy with good amount of bio-prene, anything above 78 and I'm fine in shorts and a t-shirt. Low to mid seventies i wear a 3mm shorty.

My wife always uses a full 3mm, and would probably be happier in a 5mm at 80 and below.

Cold is relative..
Im spoiled and used to FL warm waters
I use 3mm long with a light hood when water is 75 - 78f

Based on this this chart for Key Largo, if it's at the colder end of the range, I'd be thinking about a 5 mm, if it's the middle or upper end of the range, 3 mm would be sufficient for me.

Within reason, wetsuit thickness is a matter of personal comfort and choice. One notch of extra thickness isn't overkill: it's easier to add weight than heat. If you do multiple dives on the same day, round up in thickness. But I wouldn't go over 5 there.

Cold is relative that's still warmer then temps up here and that time of year we will be in the 30's F
I don't know what you mean by "here". But it's colder than in Belize.

there is a shallow reef right off Lauterdale by the Sea. You can shore dive from there. I have not been myself but have been told it is an easy dive and would be appropriate for a Jr diver.

I'm a Horizon Divers Fan. Definitely go on a wreck dive with them in the AM, the Spiegel Grove is awesome. If you like BBQ check out Shiver's BBQ in Homestead on your way down to Key Largo.

Personal preference how easily do you both get cold?
I get cold pretty easily, my son is more of a heater... BUT, we've never been diving in water in the forecasted temps...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom