new diver - first dive problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It sure was - I just had to find and post them. No one was believing my story!
I did get a lot of great info, though, especially the dive planning doc.
I apologise if I'm wrong but the reason I asked if all the pictures were taken on same trip because it looks like you didn't change file names for the photos. Most cameras will change the file name by one for each photo. If that's the case you took over 1000 photos on that trip which is a ton. Also if your in over 100 feet of water how long is your line going to anchor? Your anchor in the picture doesn't look like the kayak is tugging on it at all.
I think your pulling a fast one on us lol.

The GoPro has a setting where it just takes pics over and over at certain intervals so I wasn't punching the button on every shot. So yes, I took at least a thousand pics and filled up the memory card. Actually, I wanted to do a video but hit the button a couple times by accident and did the pic collage. For the anchor line - I hooked up two 70 ft. ropes used in free diving and was at least 102' so there was slack in the line. Also, as I was descending, I seemed to build up slack in the line - it's not like I was going down a heavy anchor mooring line from a big boat. It's a kayak I can lift over my head. But like someone posted before, believe whatever you want - I'll probably post even greater feats in the future.

I apologise if I'm wrong but the reason I asked if all the pictures were taken on same trip because it looks like you didn't change file names for the photos. Most cameras will change the file name by one for each photo. If that's the case you took over 1000 photos on that trip which is a ton. Also if your in over 100 feet of water how long is your line going to anchor? Your anchor in the picture doesn't look like the kayak is tugging on it at all.
I think your pulling a fast one on us lol.

Well Matt, we sure do hope that you have lots of great really safe properly executed dives before we hear anymore of your, uh, greater feats.

Hoping to keep you around for awhile and I'll bet your wife would like that too.

Have you been doing any reading of dive training?

Definitely have. And just let me qualify that last post with "greater feats.....within my current limits of training, experience & equipment". Actually, I have an interesting idea for my next dive I'm looking forward to - it will be much shallower for sure.
But honestly, after reading a lot of posts from so called experienced divers - I feel like on my second dive I am already exponentially better than many on this site. I just read one post about a guy who decided to dive with a leak for example because he thought it was a slow leak or some crap but ended up in trouble. I might be crazy, but at least my stupid moments are for the most part rare!

Well Matt, we sure do hope that you have lots of great really safe properly executed dives before we hear anymore of your, uh, greater feats.

Hoping to keep you around for awhile and I'll bet your wife would like that too.

Have you been doing any reading of dive training?

But honestly, after reading a lot of posts from so called experienced divers - I feel like on my second dive I am already exponentially better than many on this site.

Seriously? It appears you are doing a bit of cherry-picking. Try rereading your original post and the comments that followed, but then again, what could possibly go wrong with hubris, arrogance and over confidence?

after reading a lot of posts from so called experienced divers - I feel like on my second dive I am already exponentially better than many on this site.

owl2T.jpg

The GoPro has a setting where it just takes pics over and over at certain intervals so I wasn't punching the button on every shot. So yes, I took at least a thousand pics and filled up the memory card. Actually, I wanted to do a video but hit the button a couple times by accident and did the pic collage. For the anchor line - I hooked up two 70 ft. ropes used in free diving and was at least 102' so there was slack in the line. Also, as I was descending, I seemed to build up slack in the line - it's not like I was going down a heavy anchor mooring line from a big boat. It's a kayak I can lift over my head. But like someone posted before, believe whatever you want - I'll probably post even greater feats in the future.
Well I'm sorry if I offended. I'm not an expert on this but I would also suggest looking into anchoring as well so that you don't have to worry about your kayak moving positions in the future. Seems your rope was likely way to short for your depth. Stay safe!

Attachments

• boat-at-anchor-1.jpg
    boat-at-anchor-1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 70
Definitely have. And just let me qualify that last post with "greater feats.....within my current limits of training, experience & equipment". Actually, I have an interesting idea for my next dive I'm looking forward to - it will be much shallower for sure.
But honestly, after reading a lot of posts from so called experienced divers - I feel like on my second dive I am already exponentially better than many on this site. I just read one post about a guy who decided to dive with a leak for example because he thought it was a slow leak or some crap but ended up in trouble. I might be crazy, but at least my stupid moments are for the most part rare!

I had no reason to doubt the initially described dive. How deep do you normally freedive? If you freedive and hunt at a certain depth, then scuba at half that depth probably seems incredibly trivial to you. If you are a decent freediver, this is a benefit and a liability.

Most scuba divers, who don't really freedive, probably have little understanding of your mindset. If you listen and learn from good advice on this board, you will begin to realize that your scuba course probably left a lot of important info out and some of the dangers and info are not trivial.

Your comment about, maybe it would have been better to try to freedive (to 100 ft) to free the anchor - rather than use 600 lbs in a tank to do that, is pretty revealing about your need to expand your understanding. You do NOT want to do an agressive freedive after a deep scuba dive! Of course abandoning the anchor would have been the smartest idea, but freediving would have been the worst.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom