Sargasso.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any updates?

Answering my own question because I am here now.

There was minimal (practically none) seaweed at Chen Rio’s, Coconuts and Punta Morena. We visited them all this week. Punta Morena was our favorite, but the blue margarita at Coconuts is the best.

Look it is very simple. There is lots of weed flowing up the Yucatan Channel. Where it comes from doesn't matter.

IF the wind blows from the east it screws ups Playa Del Carmen and Cancun and the east side of Cozumel where it might mess with you're margaritas. But it is VERY rare for the wind to blow from the west so your chances of having a messy beach on the prime side of Cozumel is very rare, but it might mess with the fishing lures that get entangled in it offshore.

I'd look forward to nice beaches and diving in Cozumel, and not so much fishing.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Look it is very simple. There is lots of weed flowing up the Yucatan Channel. Where it comes from doesn't matter.

IF the wind blows to the east it screws ups Playa Del Carmen and Cancun and the east side of Cozumel where it might mess with you're margaritas. But it is VERY rare for the wind to blow from the west so your chances of having a messy beach on the prime side of Cozumel is very rare, but it might mess with the fishing lures that get entangled in it offshore.

I'd look forward to nice beaches and diving in Cozumel, and not so much fishing.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Isn’t “to the East” and “from the west” the same thing?

...it might mess with the fishing lures that get entangled in it offshore.
I can attest to that. We went out fishing three days in May, and there were huge floating masses of the stuff all over with smaller clumps everywhere in between them. It was impossible to avoid; all day every day the deck hands were constantly bringing in and defouling our lines.

I can attest to that. We went out fishing three days in May, and there were huge floating masses of the stuff all over with smaller clumps everywhere in between them. It was impossible to avoid; all day every day the deck hands were constantly bringing in and defouling our lines.

Look here, as others have said on this thread…nature will always win. I'd bet a lot on the concept that some enterprising people will find a use for this "useless" stuff. Maybe very rich compost for growing tequila plants, or marijuana. I am sure there is some economic use for it somewhere, just like lion fish taste great!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS The concern for those visiting the west (popular side) of Cozumel have very little to worry about.

It has cleared off San Pedro, Belize this week. What's the east side status of Cozumel right now please?

How has it cleared off? From what I saw on the east side of Cozumel in May, it looked to me like there was no way it was going to go away on its own. It was a couple of feet deep on shore in some places.

I learned just few days go that it is essential for survival of baby sea turtles
Hatchlings leave the nest and head for the sea and find patches of sargassum that they will live on for up to 10 years. The sargassum is filled with baby fish, shrimp, jellies, etc. that provides the hatchlings food. It also disguises them from critters who see them as a meal.

I was in Coz last week on the east side and there was very little sargassum in the water. I didn't see any on the west side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom