DIY Full Face Mask for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just don’t think it’s designed for scuba type pressure or usage.
I used a full face mask this past summer and diving to 10-15ft felt fine except for my ear clearing. Had nothing to block my nose passages for clearing but after a few attempts of moving my jaw & swallowing I made down. No leaks from the face seal.

I have had similar thoughts on that same mask.... Haven't tried anything yet though.
Ideas:
1. Use one snorkel inlet as your regulator port.
2. Add a ball valve in the other as your surface breathing valve.
3. Regulator exhaust valve would need plugged to ensure purging cleared the mask.

Hard to tell anymore without having it in hand.

Respectfully
James
Thanks for straightening me out. Yes, reusing the same air path is the better way to go. Change less since the mask is already working that way.

AliExpress, AliBaba, Ali anything says it all for me. No thank you, very much. IMHO, don't even log on and give your personal information.

Why So Many People Are Shopping on AliExpress Instead of Amazon

For myself, I've had great success purchasing a floating boat dock system from Alibaba for $8k instead of $30k from a local company. Downside for me is having to deal with the longer shipping times.
AliExpress, AliBaba, Ali anything says it all for me. No thank you, very much. IMHO, don't even log on and give your personal information.

Why So Many People Are Shopping on AliExpress Instead of Amazon

Maybe consider a mask like this: https://aliexpress.com/item/4000086675231.html as basis for the ease of equalization?
Conversion could maybe quickly achieved by replacing the snorkel with a adapter to a reg?
Might look weird that my 2nd stage is attached at the top of the mask above my forehead. But yet the soft nose pocket would work wonders on being able to clear your ears. I'm looking at inserting a nose block to rest my nostrils on to blow. Thanks for your suggestion.

Might look weird that my 2nd stage is attached at the top of the mask above my forehead. But yet the soft nose pocket would work wonders on being able to clear your ears. I'm looking at inserting a nose block to rest my nostrils on to blow. Thanks for your suggestion.
If you used a mask like that, I would suggest an adapter at the snorkel attach point to connect a semi rigid hose running down the side and put the second stage in a more traditional location. The closer your second stage diaphragm is to your exhaust valve the lower you can tune the cracking pressure without free flowing in unusual attitudes.
Another food for thought... How much will that flexible nose pocket act as a bellows (i.e. how much will it suck in before the second stage diaphragm is actuated, and how much will it bow out prior to the exhaust valve releasing)
Not to be Debbie Downer, just genuinely curious.
Side note, did you order a full face snorkel mask already? I'd love to see detailed pictures of the oral/nasal pocket and one way valving in one.
v/r
James

You MUST to have 2nd stage higher than exhaust valve, otherwise you will have constant freeflow.
And you should use 2nd stage without exhaust valve, or you must plug it up.
But using two 2nd stages together (left+right, or both connected on the top) will allow you to attach main tank and pony same time (or two sidemount tanks)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom