Progression into Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alekath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Currently a PADI AOW, completing SDI rescue and TDI nitrox this summer (Aus). Want to progress into Tech diving next summer and was wondering if it's worth doing any other specialities such as deep diver?

Will be doing the training with TDI, planning on starting with Intro to Tech followed by AN/DP. Also starting to dive on BP/W now and moving to the long hose configuration also. Any other skills or recommendations to prepare myself for going tech?

(Approx. 70+ dives a year)

I did the TDI path with ITT and then AN/DP (currently working) next will be advanced wreck....so at least get the wreck dive specialty in if you go the wreck path. Dive my doubles as much as I can and practice the drills every time im in the water as well.

In my opinion, all the specialties in the world are not going to prepare you for tech diving. Most of them are BS anyway.

I suggest getting into doubles and doing intro to tech(as you have planned). Once you are really comfortable with trim and movement in that configuration, go do AN/DP. How long will that take? It depends on you.

Good luck, and have fun diving.

In my opinion, all the specialties in the world are not going to prepare you for tech diving. Most of them are BS anyway.
Many specialties are merit-badge-esque, but one that may help you is the SDI Solo course. I took its PADI equivalent, and it served as a nice preview of the Tec40 course.

No, just do ITT and AN/DP Helitrox. Further rec specialties are useless.

Would drysuit be a good one?

Would drysuit be a good one?
I found the drysuit course helpful, but that is mainly because I live in south florida and did not have a mentor that could teach me the ropes. I also did not have anywhere to rent a drysuit from...

Since you are in New England, I imagine it is easier to rent a drysuit (although they may require the cert) or borrow one, as well as find someone to give you the main points.

You could also do something like the GUE drysuit primer if that piques your interest.

Define tech diving for what you want to do. Answer that question and people will be able to help you better.

Dry, wet, how deep, caves, wrecks, drifting, ocean, inland - tech diving is a huge field and I would suggest training the way you want to dive.

Good luck! I think that's a great choice.

For divers who are motivated and committed, I think that tech training is great, even if you never go into deco. It's more about a mindset than it is about gear and profiles. Instead of just swimming around and watching your SPG and your dive computer to tell you when to surface, or following a guide, you learn to plan your dive ahead of time, thinking about contingency options and how to fix problems underwater.

No need for other recreational classes, but spend as much time in doubles as you can, getting totally comfortable with the valves, etc... BP/W, long hose / primary donate are pretty standard for tech training in backmount open circuit. Make sure that all that is dialed in before you start trying to hold stops and do deco. Maybe ask your instructor before buying any other new gear like SMBs, lights, etc..

Many specialties are merit-badge-esque, but one that may help you is the SDI Solo course. I took its PADI equivalent, and it served as a nice preview of the Tec40 course.

What are you going to learn in solo that isn’t going to be covered in AN/DP?

Solo is great if you have no concept of gas planning and redundancy...but otherwise is useless for anything but the card.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom