SSI Nitrox Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Bobbyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Kind of wanting to expand knowledge on nitrox diving. I've looked at the SSI site but can't really tell if you can take this course 100% on line. Has anyone taken this totally on line?

Can't speak to what SSI requires as a bare minimum, but I know my SSI shop has an in-person class in addition to the e-learning module.

That said, I would be surprised if the requirements, in addition to the written test, don't also include demonstrating that you know how to analyze a cylinder and set your dive computer to the appropriate FO2.

Even if not required, I'd do it. There have been lots of posts over the last year by "nitrox certified" divers that demonstrate an alarming ignorance of the fundamentals. They read a few threads here, pick the parts that validate their unsafe practices, and then act like instant experts.

Nitrox is a very safe and a very useful tool. It isn't hard, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to skimp on the training. Often you'll learn much more than what is on the official curriculum, create a point of contact if you have questions, etc. Take advantage of that.

agreed, I don't know of any courses that are 100% online. Typically everything is done online, and then you go to an instructor to demonstrate use of an analyzer and do a quick knowledge review

SSI does not offer purely online training courses for certification. You have to take the written exam in person (and score 80% for recreational and 90% for professional certs) and for EANx, as stated above, you have to demonstrate using an O2 monitor and how you would certify a tank when you receive it.

Almost all SSI courses have an e-learning component that you do through either the app or a web browser, but that's only half (at most) of the course.

The local dive store that I teach/train with is an SSI shop. The Nitrox course consists of online work doing four chapters followed by 3-4 hours inshop review and testing. There are things such as hands on gas testing that cannot really be done online. We also explain our use of partial pressure blending and why the tanks must O2 clean. There are no dives with this course as all planning takes place on the surface. Regardless of where you take a Nitrox course, it will be a very big step toward you having more options with your diving. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom