Calf cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Viper12161

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all. Newer diver, just completed dive #8!! One thing that has plagued me since my first cert dive is calf cramps. They only seem to happen when I am surface swimming. Under the water I am just fine. But if I pop up from my dive and need to swim to my boat a bit, I get monstrous cramps. I can usually roll to my back and swim that way and they will subside a bit, but lately I have been just descending about 5-10 feet and swimming under the water instead. Obviously not the best course of action if there was ever an issue and I can't go back down, so want to try and nip this in the butt now. I had figured it would go away the more I dive, but nope. I've been eating bananas a few days before a dive and drinking water the night before and day of the dive right to before I jump in the water. Water temps are 60 degrees or so...7mil suit. Scubapro Twinjet Split fins. I'm definitely on the older and fluffy side, but not sure why that would make surface hard and not at depth. Without my gear on, I can swim forever and be fine. Once they act up, my calf muscles are tight and sore for a couple of days after. I am a hockey goalie, so my legs do get quite a bit of exercise.

Thanks!!!

Hi, long time swimmer and snorkeler with never any problems with calf cramping. Also play hockey 2-3 times a week. 4 years ago during my O/W pool dives I started getting the cramps. Too much time standing around in the pool, I suppose. Anyways sought advise from experienced divers and a few other people. Here's what has worked for me. Light stretches before going into the water. A banana slice before and after the dive. Also drink fluids (ideally water) before and after the dive. Simple and has worked for me.

Agree massively increase your water intake all around.

You know, when I first started diving this was a problem, and I was very well hydrated. I started taking a electrolyte drink just before each dive and that seemed to help. But what I think really cleared them up was getting used to fins on my feet, and being able to fin effectively. I continue to be well hydrated, but frequently forget my electrolyte drink. I only have a subtle cramp now and then if I have to fin hard or long. I had the same issue when I started yoga. My calf and feet complaining "I can't do that". I think it certainly is muscles getting used to the new action in my case.

maybe try some different fins? but def start with more water. much cheaper solution. your pee should be copious and clear.

As a former "way back when" Iron Man, POTASSIUM is the key.
Currently do minimal diving here in Ontario, when I do duration is relatively short so no prob.
My passion right now is MX caves, spend 3/4 weeks down there doing 3.5/4 hour dives and it is rare for me to not experience calf/leg cramps in the first few days.
Stretch them out :) and dive on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom