new diver - first dive problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but the anchor point was stuck in that brown piece of coral shown in the pic. Maybe I could have got it with more effort - but after a few tries I just went down.

@Matt Spear

I'm not understanding the whole part about having to retrieve the anchor because you couldn't pull it up.

You've got 140' of line on a calm day with flat seas and no current so the line is going to be almost straight down- making it almost impossible for the anchor to hook on anything in the first place- and clearly it isn't, as the picture clearly shows the anchor lying loose on the bottom, with slack and not stuck on anything.

Why couldn't you simply reel the anchor in by the line attached to the boat?

My instructor was a hippy girl who was great. You're probably right, just linearly better that many instead of exponential is more accurate at this point.

Just keep in mind 2 things:
1- Many of these people have hundreds, some even thousands of dives to look back on reflecting their experience. You are most certainly NOT more proficient or exponentially better at diving than these individuals after a couple of lousy dives.
2 - Ego has killed many a diver. Leave it on the shore or your kayak, it has no place at depth.

I hope you are just trolling and wasting time, but if not, I beg of you to seek a DM to dive with even if just for a few dives. I'm also a bit curious who you were certified by, as I'm concerned about their level of instruction given your blatant disregard (or maybe you just weren't taught about) proper safety techniques and practices while diving. Stay safe and best of luck my friend.

I get the feeling that OP is a competent free diver and spearo. I think he somehow figured that strapping a tank on his back was just an extension of both these sports allowing him to do the above but deeper and longer.
But still.... :facepalm:

I've dove up to around 80' to fish, so going to 100' seemed like no big deal - and well under the 130' limit suggestion for open water certifications. Actually, I never knew exactly how deep I was since I never had a depth gauge before. Probably will stick to 30'-40' dives for awhile now with Scuba.
First off, the limit suggested for open water cert is 60', not 130'.
Advanced OW is 100', and then there is the deep cert for 130'.
I'm assuming this was taught in your open water class (that you took very recently..?)

We're all happy that you want to limit your current diving to shallower depths for now, that is a very sound decision.
Build some experience, and then get the training to go deeper when you feel ready for it, there is no reason to rush things.

OMG....you just opened the window to the “is there a depth limit” debate. There goes Friday Night! :popcorn:
Well, there isn't a legally set limit, there's no scuba police to enforce anything, most of us know this.
If it's wise to go way beyond depths that we are trained for is another discussion though.

See, I disagree. I think there are scuba police, but they embody the worst stereotypes about cops on both ends of the spectrum. Ninety percent of the time, they're scarfing donuts while thugs run rampant, diving deeper than they're supposed to and breaking rules left and right without getting caught. When they decide to do their jobs, they often are the thugs, occasionally beating people to death for minor infractions. At least they don't take bribes very often, which makes it all the more important not to cross them even if you're likely to get away with it.

Went down today, this time an easy dive around 30 feet. Made a little video. Disappointed with no fish (didn't bring a spoon) but had fun and got some good video.
Also, at least I didn't almost die this dive.

Nice, looks like a beautiful day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom