Progression into Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do think there is some benefit in the Padi classes. Compared to the tech level classes (which I am going through right now myself), they are a lot less detailed, especially on the skills side. However I believe you get out what you put into a class. I have a stack of Padi certs, and although some were probably not really necessary, I did get something from each of them to improve my diving.

In answer to your question i would recommend the Padi deep diver cert. For me that was my first introduction to deeper dives, and my first lessons in deploying a DSMB. I am glad I had this training then, and have been able to build on it and repeat over the past ten years while building my diving experience level. I would also recommend any class that you are interested in, as it will encourage you to dive more and to gain more experience, which ultimately, is what will make you a better diver overall.

Now going into tech, while it definitely wasn't necessary to take those classes, it certainly helped!

Many specialties are merit-badge-esque, but one that may help you is the SDI Solo course. I took its PADI equivalent, and it served as a nice preview of the Tec40 course.
I am highly considering taking up rec solo diving. Where I go diving it is hard to find a competent buddy, often leaving me feeling that I would be safer solo, with a pony. Lack of buddy is also restricting the amount of diving I can do in the summer unfortunately.

Do you believe it is worth while if you already have decent gas and dive planning skills to get the card? (Find navigation easy)

Do you believe it is worth while if you already have decent gas and dive planning skills to get the card? (Find navigation easy)

a lot of places won’t let you solo unless you have a solo card...so yes it can be very worthwhile. That being said, there are places that don’t allow solo even with the card. So it depends on your situation where you dive

I recently took the SDI Solo class, and to be honest it was more of a skills assessment than a class where you were taught new skills. I had already been solo diving for several years before taking it, so I really did it just to get the card (for places where you need the card to dive). There are several good threads discussing the merits of taking the class or not. I think it really depends on where you are at in your own diving experience and confidence in your abilities if you are ready to start solo diving.

Define tech diving for what you want to do. Answer that question and people will be able to help you better.

Dry, wet, how deep, caves, wrecks, drifting, ocean, inland - tech diving is a huge field and I would suggest training the way you want to dive.
X2
Where are you wanting to go with your tech diving? Unlike open water, it is not a one size fits all. Find what you want to do and find the path to it. Don't just take the path labeled "tech diving" and see where it goes. That won't really get you anywhere.

I recently took the SDI Solo class, and to be honest it was more of a skills assessment than a class where you were taught new skills. I had already been solo diving for several years before taking it, so I really did it just to get the card (for places where you need the card to dive). There are several good threads discussing the merits of taking the class or not. I think it really depends on where you are at in your own diving experience and confidence in your abilities if you are ready to start solo diving.

Then I would take the position that you didn't get what you paid for. I'm an SDI Solo instructor and along with the required materials, I tailor the class to the student to expand their knowledge. As well as offer additional skills that are not in the course. The last solo class I taught was one of those. The student was asking about verw low vis solo diving. So we added a dive that was all line skills on the outside of a large sunken cabin cruiser. I ran the line around the boat. Then the student worked on following the line, undoing the tie offs, and then shooting a bag for the ascent. All while wearing a blackout mask. Then I had her run the line and choose different tie offs.
How many times did you use a mirror to do your buddy and bubble checks?
How many valve shutdowns and redundant air deployments did you practice?
One fin swims? Deploying the back up mask?
How many dives? My minimum is 4. We did 5 to add the line skills.

Best course I have taken is “intro to cave”. It is a heavy skill course. All about buoyancy trim and propulsion with skill expectations at a level for sensitive cave environments. I took that course in Sidemount. I already had a Sidemount certification.

I did just two dives (per the SDI requirements). I did do all the required class skills (one fin swim, no mask swimming, mask swaps, switching to pony, multiple DSMB deployments, holding S/stops, neutral buoyancy, etc). I admit I was expecting more. But the trouble is when you have a diver who has already been doing these skills and diving solo for a long time, it was more about refinement rather than teaching new skills.
That being said it sounds like taking the class with you would be a lot of fun and a very involved training experience! I have heard that different instructors add different skills depending on their preference.

What are you going to learn in solo that isn’t going to be covered in AN/DP?
I have no idea, seeing as I've not taken AN/DP. All I can tell you is that the Solo class worked well for me as a soft intro to the tech-diving arena.

Define tech diving for what you want to do. Answer that question and people will be able to help you better.

Dry, wet, how deep, caves, wrecks, drifting, ocean, inland - tech diving is a huge field and I would suggest training the way you want to dive.

Good point! I already dive dry and with the water temps wouldn't go with anything else. I would say for future diving I am looking to dive deep for ocean dives. Some fantastic dives I want to do around my location in depths of up to 80m. However, I would say the greatest interest is to start cave diving, been at a few cave entrances in the ocean that lead into small systems and always wanted to further explore where they lead. I imagine with the inland caves in Australia is where I will do most of my diving for caves and its only a few hours away.

Probably the main point to take away is that I am going to follow a path that leads towards exploring places few have been.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom