North sulawesi - early December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hedonist222

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello everyone

My friend and I are considering spending about 9 days diving among Bunaken, Bangka, and Lembeh from 29th November.

I realize this is when the rainy starts and hope it's not too torrential.

We're keen on the murex dive center 'passport to paradise' package.
What this entails is efficiently diving at three different locations. Efficiently because the commute from Manado/Bunaken to Bangka and then Lembeh is by boat.
So, even on the commute-day you get to dive on the way.
So no lost-dive-days due to land commute.
In addition to the convenience of diving whilst commuting, you're comprehensive itinerary is handled by a single entity.

We got our OW/AOW/Nitrox (I've got rescue diver as well) about 13 years ago. He has about 250 dives.
I have close you 300, of which 70 were from the past 4 months.
So we're both very comfortable underwater.

We enjoy the pelagics, coral and macro.

At Manado, we'll be at the murex resort
At Bangka, we'll be at the murex Bangka resort. And at Lembeh, we'll be at the Lembeh resort.

While rustic is ok if we have to, we'd prefer a little luxury if possible. Nice meals, ambient evening social area.

We're flying in to Singapore and then into Manado via Silk Air.

I'm most probably bringing all my dive gear sans weights/tanks.

My dive gear consists of:
Scubapro hydros pro
MK25 evo
S620ti & r095 regulators
Shearwater perdix ai
Mask
Seawing nova fins (large)
Full body rash guard
Dive shorts
Compact dsmb
Magnifying lens
Nanight tech 2 light (umbilical cord & canister type)

I have a Sony fdr x3000 action camera.

I doubt I'll bring my canon 5d mkii dslr, because I'd prefer to bring my dji mavic drone and travel as light as possible.

We'll primarily be diving so my underwater sony action camera for dives and drone for celestial dome footage.

I suppose I don't have any particular questions at this point, but putting out my itinerary in case anyone suggests something.

Thanks.

I suggest that you bring a wetsuit and a beanie. I've been 3 times and always been grateful to have my 3mm. At Lembeh, have been glad to have my beanie. You will very much enjoy your stay at Lembeh Resort after the other two places, as it's a serious step up. Very pleasant way to finish up in my book.

With nine days diving I would skip Manado. And indeed consider more than a rash guard.

Yup skip diving in Manado and split Lembeh/Bangka. And yes you might want at least a 3mm full suit. I've always used a 3mm with hood and vest. Lately I've gone to a 5mm which helps me stay warm those last 15 minutes of that long 75 min muck dive where your not moving much and the water is 27C or 28C.

Oh good, someone else said skip Manado, lol.

I was going to say that but then thought that just because Bunaken diving isn't my favourite, to let that pass.

Someone new to the area might really enjoy the huge turtles and top of reef there is lovely if not a garbage day.

I suggest that you bring a wetsuit and a beanie. I've been 3 times and always been grateful to have my 3mm. At Lembeh, have been glad to have my beanie. You will very much enjoy your stay at Lembeh Resort after the other two places, as it's a serious step up. Very pleasant way to finish up in my book.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

Over here in the UAE, where I've dived almost every weekend the past 4 months (65 dives), water temps have been between 26 and 28.
On a few occasions, it's even dipped down to 22 to 24 for a solid 30 minutes. And I was ok.

With this experience, I imagine I should be ok?

With nine days diving I would skip Manado. And indeed consider more than a rash guard.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Really, skip Bunaken altogether?
I'm staying on Manado, but dives will be at Bunaken.

Still skip Bunaken in favor of Bangka?

Yup skip diving in Manado and split Lembeh/Bangka. And yes you might want at least a 3mm full suit. I've always used a 3mm with hood and vest. Lately I've gone to a 5mm which helps me stay warm those last 15 minutes of that long 75 min muck dive where your not moving much and the water is 27C or 28C.

Thanks for the tip.

As said above, it's not Manado diving.
I'll be staying at murex dive resort on Manado, but have requested my dives to be at Bunaken.

Oh good, someone else said skip Manado, lol.

I was going to say that but then thought that just because Bunaken diving isn't my favourite, to let that pass.

Someone new to the area might really enjoy the huge turtles and top of reef there is lovely if not a garbage day.

Im honestly not very keen on turtles. We see them here all all the time.

Wow, a lot of people have suggested skipping Bunaken.

May I know a little more on why?

:)

Below are a few videos of the typical diving I did all summer:

Thanks all

I did the Murex "Passport to Paradise" a few years back and was not disappointed.

Although my preference is muck diving, I have to say that the walls around Bunaken are magnificent and the water is much warmer on that side (when we dived it was 28C compared to Lembeh 26C).

Murex resort in Manado was good at the time but not the same as Lembeh Resort.

On the plus side it has a good house reef

On the negative side there was no camera room (at that time, may have changed now) and no tanks with DIN valves were available (again this may have changed).

Enjoy the trip, and if you've any other questions, I'm just up the road, send me a PM and we can chat.

Over here in the UAE, where I've dived almost every weekend the past 4 months (65 dives), water temps have been between 26 and 28.
On a few occasions, it's even dipped down to 22 to 24 for a solid 30 minutes. And I was ok.

Early December the winds from the North-West often already pick up strongly. This can make the boat rides to Bunaken less comfortable.

Still skip Bunaken in favor of Bangka?

Thanks for the tip.

As said above, it's not Manado diving.
I'll be staying at murex dive resort on Manado, but have requested my dives to be at Bunaken.

Im honestly not very keen on turtles. We see them here all all the time.

Wow, a lot of people have suggested skipping Bunaken.

May I know a little more on why?

:)

Below are a few videos of the typical diving I did all summer:

Thanks all

Looks good. Thanks for sharing

I did the Murex "Passport to Paradise" a few years back and was not disappointed.

Although my preference is muck diving, I have to say that the walls around Bunaken are magnificent and the water is much warmer on that side (when we dived it was 28C compared to Lembeh 26C).

Murex resort in Manado was good at the time but not the same as Lembeh Resort.

On the plus side it has a good house reef

On the negative side there was no camera room (at that time, may have changed now) and no tanks with DIN valves were available (again this may have changed).

Enjoy the trip, and if you've any other questions, I'm just up the road, send me a PM and we can chat.

Hi neighbor

Ive seen you post on the uae section. We may have been on the same boat if you dive with divers down.

Thanks for the tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom