Calf cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I disagree about electrolytes as I drink Gatorade daily during my 25 mile bike rides, but it doesn't prevent cramps.

It works for me. YMMV

There is always the suggestion that cramps will go away as you do more and more diving. I dunno. In the "on" season I do two dives once a week. In winter it's usually one dive every other week. This type of diving (though more than a lot of people), is most likely not enough to get your "diving" muscles in good enough shape to eliminate all cramping. I do other exercises the days in between, but it's not the same. Wasn't good enough to stop the cramps before I started the potassium pills.

Agree that varying your kicks does help- I mix in some frog & scissor kicks. Also, some aggressive rubbing of the muscle if you sense a cramp is coming will help. Then using that leg to kick slower than the "good" one (assuming it's in one leg only). Pull yourself along the bottom, ideally grabbing rocks. Always be aware of how far you must go to get somewhere you can stand to put pressure on the cramp so bingo, it's gone.

I agee with @TMHeimer to some degree

I spend much of my time frog kicking, but spend some time doing large amplitude flutter kicking. Do whatever is best for you.

I disagree about electrolytes as I drink Gatorade daily during my 25 mile bike rides, but it doesn't prevent cramps.

Gatorade it not "electrolytes", it had some sodium last I looked and that was that. Sodium is involved in signaling muscle contraction, but relaxation signal needs other ions: potassium and magnesium. So to relax a cramp, sodium is exactly the wrong "electrolyte" to take.

Another good source of potassium is papaya, some sources claim has higher content per serving than bananas. Just a thought for people who don't care for bananas or taking pills.

You might check the amount of potassium in Gatorade vs V8 Low Sodium. Gatorade has very little.

I am the cramp master.... all the above is good advice, but I will ad coconut water is pretty effective pre-dive. Post-dive, if you get hit with cramps pickle juice or yellow mustard works fast for me. Avoiding even mild dehydration is important so hydrate well.

Good luck,
Jay

I am the cramp master.... all the above is good advice, but I will ad coconut water is pretty effective pre-dive. Post-dive, if you get hit with cramps pickle juice or yellow mustard works fast for me. Avoiding even mild dehydration is important so hydrate well.

Good luck,
Jay
The Cramp Master--I love it. I usually got to give a speech to OW students as I was known as the Cramp Guy, or something.

Just a heads up, but too many people point to potassium as being the problem. Magnesium deficiency is more likely imo. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with cramps in my calves due to magnesium deficiency. I take 3 of these, twice per day. Try it out. You'll know within a couple of days whether or not it works, and it's inexpensive. Good luck!

https://www.puritan.com/source-natu...ZiSnj_RINZKpGQh4TKRoCKxQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom