Mares hybrid pure folding back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob Teichman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How much smaller does the hybrid pure MRS with folding back pack up compared to the Pure SLS. I'm asking for traveling purposes.

Have you considered the hydros pro or BP/W? You aren't going to get much more travel savvy than the latter.

WAY too expensive. I'm a recreational diver, and even though I live only a few hours from Cozumel, Belize, and Akamal, I only dive a few times a year. Actually, normally portability isn't an issue but in the next 6 months I will be traveling to the Red Sea, Great Barrier reef, and Thailand so I thought about bringing along a BCD on those trips.

if you pay my airfare i will volunteer as your bcd.

I guess I should also throw into the mix, the Cressi Patrol BCD. It's even lighter, is a back inflate, and is even less expensive.

Most of my dive gear is Mares and I really like their gear but their BCD's are big and bulky. The Cressi BC looks fairly bulky also and both have a lift capacity of 40 lbs which is way over kill for what you require. For a travel BC, I would suggest you have a look at OMS, Oceanic or Aqua Lung. The OMS system has more options. I don't how they compare to the cost of the 2 you mentioned though? 27 lb (12.5 kg) IQ Lite Performance Mono
Oceanic BioLite Travel BCD
Outlaw - Aqua Lung CA - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

You want light weight, durable, comfortable, weight inegrated, back inflate, 32# lift, check out Zeagle Covert <$275 @ Leisurepro or Covert XT. Always call them for best price.

You want light weight, durable, comfortable, weight inegrated, back inflate, 32# lift, check out Zeagle Covert <$275 @ Leisurepro or Covert XT. Always call them for best price.
Thanks, but ugggh another option to consider! LOL Do I need to worry that there is no plastic back where the tank attaches to? Also, and I'm a newbie so please forgive this question, where do you attach the SPG gauge and where do you attach the alternate air source? Finally I see it has only 2 air releases. The other BCDs all have 3 will this be a problem? I should mention I routinely have problems getting enough air OUT of my BCD (and water getting in).

Thanks, but ugggh another option to consider! LOL Do I need to worry that there is no plastic back where the tank attaches to? Also, and I'm a newbie so please forgive this question, where do you attach the SPG gauge and where do you attach the alternate air source? Finally I see it has only 2 air releases. The other BCDs all have 3 will this be a problem? I should mention I routinely have problems getting enough air OUT of my BCD (and water getting in).

With the Covert or XT, you do not need a plastic back to attach the tanks. Both models come with two tank bands, and the tank sits against a soft rubber buffer that the tank bands are threaded through on the soft backpack. I have the older Covert model, so I attach my dive computer to one of the shoulder D rings, and a backup analog gauge set to the D ring on the other shoulder. There are two other D rings on the waist strap. The XT (more costly than the older Cover) has a lot more attachment points with their Molle system, and has other upgrades such as weight pockets for the integrated weight system and trim pockets on the upper tank band. I attach my octo, which is on a 29" inch hose, to a rubber necklace around my neck, planning to donate my primary reg, which is now on a 40" hose (many on SB use a longer hose for that). Both regs are on a swivel attachment. The Covert actually has 3 dump options: lower left dump valve, the inflator hose held above your head and used the way you probably learned to dump air, and finally, you can pull down on the inflator hose which dumps air from a dump valve where the inflator hose connects to the bladder. The other thing I love about the Zeagle bcd is the inflator valve, which you can unscrew and then attach a garden hose directly to the inflator hose which makes cleaning the bladder very effective and efficient. I use my Covert for local as well as travel diving, and it work great for both. Good luck with your search.

For travel I have the Aqualung Outlaw and love it. Judging by your post, you don't seem to do a ton of diving each year and also seem to dive warm water and need a BCD that packs and travels well. You and I have the exact same dive profile and I love my Outlaw for those exact diving situations. The Outlaw is bare minimum and feels like your diving in a backpack with no constriction. It packs down extremely well, and you can even remove the shoulder straps and waist band to pack it down even tighter! I have gone so far as to strip my whole rig all the way down to an Airsource inflator hose, an Aqualung Mikron reg and a transmitter for my Suunto EON Core computer....so basically two hoses.

I also noticed you asked a BCD sizing question in another thread. The waist straps and shoulder straps for the Outlaw can be changed out to suit your sizing needs. So, you could theoretically dive in a large BCD with large shoulder straps, but attach a medium waistband, or vice versa, to suit your body type, etc. My wife dives an Outlaw Rogue and loves it as well. It's also a good travel option, with a little more comfort. Something to consider anyway.... Good luck and have a great time on your upcoming trips! .

Back
Top Bottom