Booking an Australia liveaboard for great barrier reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCBY5945

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning my diving trip of GBR in the coming January. As recommended in here, my option would be sprit of freedom or mike ball..
Could you guys give some advice if I would like to get a better deal? Am I supposed to seek any agent or just directly book from the website?

I emailed Mike Ball for my trip in December when I booked, as had the same decision between companies. I was given a discount on a premium cabin. I received $500 off I think. Doesn't hurt to ask either of them if they have a special for the time you're going and that you are trying to decide between the two. First time on Mike Ball. I have been on SOF before and its a good boat.

I emailed Mike Ball for my trip in December when I booked, as had the same decision between companies. I was given a discount on a premium cabin. I received $500 off I think. Doesn't hurt to ask either of them if they have a special for the time you're going and that you are trying to decide between the two. First time on Mike Ball. I have been on SOF before and its a good boat.
Thx. Btw, how would you compare these two boats? Actually i was worrying about the non-internernet policy on mike ball

I will let you know after December when I go on Mike Ball. Internet isn't a concern for me. Good to disconnect for a while.

I will let you know after December when I go on Mike Ball. Internet isn't a concern for me. Good to disconnect for a while.
thx, and guess you are right.
how about the other services? which one wins more?

thx, and guess you are right.
how about the other services? which one wins more?

I'm sorry if my messages are confusing. To be clear, I have not been on Mike Ball. I will be going on Mike Ball in December. I have been on SOF. I've been on a number of liveaboards and SOF was one of the better ones.

So, until December, I cannot compare them. Will post feedback after my trip.

Cheers...

Both very similar but in my opinion Spirit has the edge from a vessel point of view, newer and better design. However both crews equally superb and dive sites are the same. SOF usually a bit cheaper, and offer complimentary transfers to and from the boat (Mike Ball you have to make your own way to the dive shop on day of departure).. You wont go wrong with either.

Drop me a PM as we can discount the trips so can get a much better deal that going direct.

Internet connection is not merely a matter of policy but rather the remoteness of the locations visited. Many sites are quite a distance offshore and out of range of cellular coverage.The land adjacent to many of the other locations is also remote and very sparsely populated with little to no cellular coverage. This is remote location diving.

I was given a discount on a premium cabin. I received $500 off I think.

These are standby specials and only released a month or so prior to the trip. So for the posters date of 20th Jan there are only 8 spaces left on the entire boat, so I highly doubt there will be any standby rate for this trip.
We also post these up (see here for current Mike Ball and here for SOF) as well as regular discounts, so yes it does pay to ask :)

Reactions: Jay
You'll be in one of the place place on earth.
Screw internet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom